Have a MacBook pro buying an iMac

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I currently have a MacBook pro since November 2011 and an iPad, apple tv and an IPhone , but my computer crashed at work and I've ordered an iMac :Blushing: ( I work for my parents) so I have a couple of questions hopefully you can help

1 my payroll package will only run on windows so I'm going to buy parallels how have any of you found this

2 I'm hoping to change my current quick books to a mac version have you any experience with it

3 what big differences will I notice between the MacBook pro and the iMac ?

Thank you

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I can answer 1 and 3 for you.

Parallel runs fine as long as you give it enough RAM and space to breath properly. The larger screen for one. :p Heavier and you can't carry it around with you as easily.

Essentially it's a MBP that is stationary.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
3 what big differences will I notice between the MacBook pro and the iMac

The iMac is going to be a lot less portable, a lot heavier, and much more bulky!;)

Honestly...not much difference (other than a larger display). In my humble opinion...and iMac is just an oversized laptop (which is fine, I like iMac's)!;)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The larger screen for one. :p Heavier and you can't carry it around with you as easily.

Essentially it's a MBP that is stationary.

YIKES...I think we must be sharing the same "brainwaves" today!;)

- Nick

OP
N
Reaction score
well just wanted to let ye know, ive my new imac up and running, parrells working great and quickbooks and payroll,

i LOVE it

Thanks

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
YIKES...I think we must be sharing the same "brainwaves" today!;)

- Nick

Haha. Guess so.

well just wanted to let ye know, ive my new imac up and running, parrells working great and quickbooks and payroll,

i LOVE it

Thanks

Great that everything is working out for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz i7 16GB RAM 250G SSD OS X Mountain Lion, iMac mid 2011, iPhone 3G
The iMac is going to be a lot less portable, a lot heavier, and much more bulky!;)

Honestly...not much difference (other than a larger display). In my humble opinion...and iMac is just an oversized laptop (which is fine, I like iMac's)!;)

- Nick

Hi Nick,

Does iMac have video cam built-in like MBP? I plan to buy one at home.

C

chas_m

Yes, all Macs except the Mac Pro and Mac mini come with built-in FaceTime HD cameras (which, I hasten to add, can be used with any webcam type app, not just FaceTime).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz i7 16GB RAM 250G SSD OS X Mountain Lion, iMac mid 2011, iPhone 3G
Thanx a lot @chas_m.
one more thing, will there be any new iMac coming this year? Should i wait for it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
There is definitely a new iMac coming out very soon(next couple of months). You should wait

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is definitely a new iMac coming out very soon(next couple of months). You should wait

Thank you @class77. Looking forward to it.

C

chas_m

"Definitely" in this case means "class77 really, really believes that but does not actually have any evidence of this."

LIKELY that a refreshed iMac is coming before long? Sure.

DEFINITELY? No. Nobody outside Apple could possible know that, and sometimes they keep us "experts" waiting a lot longer than when we "think" they're due (see this year's iPhone, or any Mac Pro owner, for some testifyin' on that point!).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"Definitely" in this case means "class77 really, really believes that but does not actually have any evidence of this."

LIKELY that a refreshed iMac is coming before long? Sure.

DEFINITELY? No. Nobody outside Apple could possible know that, and sometimes they keep us "experts" waiting a lot longer than when we "think" they're due (see this year's iPhone, or any Mac Pro owner, for some testifyin' on that point!).

So you mean it's coming very soon? I didn't get you sorry. Should I wait?

C

chas_m

We don't know.

Nobody here knows if a new iMac is coming soon (whatever "soon" means) or not. We might THINK one is about due right about now, there might be rumours and external developments that would indicate such a thing, but we don't actually KNOW.

My advice on these matters is to make the best purchase you can when you are ready to buy and then forget about it. If another one comes out next month, who cares? You're not in the market for another one for at least three to five years, and by then anything that's "just come out" will pale in comparison. So ultimately it doesn't really matter unless Apple doesn't something so completely revolutionary and radical that it immediately renders all previous computers instantly obsolete.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro, 15", iCore 7, 8GB, Thunderbolt Display
1 - either that or you use bootcamp

3 - none except the screen size - i have my macbook attached to a thunderbolt display which is awesome to work with

Hi everyone, I currently have a MacBook pro since November 2011 and an iPad, apple tv and an IPhone , but my computer crashed at work and I've ordered an iMac :Blushing: ( I work for my parents) so I have a couple of questions hopefully you can help

1 my payroll package will only run on windows so I'm going to buy parallels how have any of you found this

2 I'm hoping to change my current quick books to a mac version have you any experience with it

3 what big differences will I notice between the MacBook pro and the iMac ?

Thank you

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.