Connecting older iMac to monitor

Reaction score
Hi all,

My 2007 iMac has the dreaded vertical flashing and colorful lines on the screen. I just ordered a new iMac but I would like to salvage the old one for use at work. How would I connect it to a PC monitor? I would like to still use the computer but these lines are getting obnoxious. I have a Mini Display Port/ VGA cable that I can plug into the monitor from my MBP, but how do I go about it with an older computer that doesn't have the Mini Display Port?

Thank you very much for your help in advance! :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a Mini Display Port/ VGA cable that I can plug into the monitor from my MBP, but how do I go about it with an older computer that doesn't have the Mini Display Port?

Just like your MBP...your iMac has a video-out port...it's just different than what your MBP has.

I'm fairly sure a 2007 iMac has a "mini-DVI" video-out port...so you need a "mini-DVI to VGA" adapter...or a "mini-DVI to DVI" adapter. Which adapter you need depends on the external monitor you're connecting it to.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
I
Reaction score
Thanks for your help! I haven't been around it all day to check the back of the the iMac for a Mini Display port, but when I last looked, I just remember seeing ethernet/USB ports. I do have the VGA to Mini Display cable for my MBP. The PC monitor I have has a VGA cable... so, hopefully the one I have will work. Thanks again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.