• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

JVC Everio doesnt work in imovie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook with Leopard! YAY!
My jvc everio camcorder does not work in imovie. When I plug it in via USB the hard drive opens and i can view the photos i took but i cannot view th videos. I have somewhat understood the apple discussions saying that i need to convert the files to DV. What should i do?!?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
iMovie only works with FireWire cameras. You will need to find some software that can convert the files from your camera into .dv or another iMovie compatible format

Reaction score
I have the JVC Everio also.

Here you go. Free program MPEG streamclip for MAC from;

http://www.squared5.com/

Download your movies with the USB connection. This program opens the .mod file. You can then convert it to a bunch of different stuff. I convert mine to DV format, then drop them into iMovie and edit. Takes a little longer but is simple works great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
I have the JVC Everio also.

Here you go. Free program MPEG streamclip for MAC from;

http://www.squared5.com/

Download your movies with the USB connection. This program opens the .mod file. You can then convert it to a bunch of different stuff. I convert mine to DV format, then drop them into iMovie and edit. Takes a little longer but is simple works great.

Just to add to this you are going to have to have, or get the Apple quicktimempeg2 component, which costs $20.00.

I suggest just putting out the $20.00 and doing it. I use my everio all the time, and the MPEGStreamclip software converts it perfectly, and it knows whether I've used 16:9 or 4:3 settings.

Also, make sure you have an extra hard-drive, external if possible, to hold your footage, til you are done creating your iMovie project. The .dv files are pretty big, and importing them to iMovie just makes them bigger.

Best,

Brian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.