battery estimate

Reaction score
im a little worried as to the health of my battery. just last week, my 93% charge would estimate me about 2.45-3.15 hrs. now, my 92% is at 1 hr 38 minutes. im running the same two apps (mail, safari for homework) that i was running last week.

is this type of abrupt battery drop off common?

P.S. does a bigger HD require the fans to turn on more? i used to average about 1500 rpms with my 80gb, now im hovering around 2700 rpms with my 250gb. perhaps this is a reason for the battery drain?

or it could just be paranoia

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.16ghz,2 gigs ram, 120gigs--ipod nano red 4 gig--ipod vid 30 gig black-- rip macbook
is it a ac adaptor hd? also check your apps that are runing casue more apps could be runing then you think

OP
M
Reaction score
nope, the hd is internal. there were no apps on my dock running other than those two. my activity monitor showed nothing out of the ordinary, and i "train" my battery once every month or two.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB
If I read your question correctly, you also changed your hard drive out? A 250 GB drive may have very different power requirements than an 80 GB drive.

Reaction score
size of a drive does not change how much power it uses, in fact a newer drive might even use less power, the only change would be if he had went from a 5400RPm to a 7200RPM drive, which it being a 250, he stuck with 5400, or even 4200.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
have you calibrated it lately? run on battery power until it forces the machine to sleep. wait until the light on the lid release button runs out (may take a long time so you might want to do it over night). once the light is out charge all the way. you can use it during the charing. this may help, i had the same problem you had and it helped my battery life. if you haven't ran the battery update in software update you might want to do that also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB
size of a drive does not change how much power it uses, in fact a newer drive might even use less power, the only change would be if he had went from a 5400RPm to a 7200RPM drive, which it being a 250, he stuck with 5400, or even 4200.

Well, here's where some simple math & research will help:

A WD 250 GB 5400 RPM SATA notebook drive uses 2.0 WATTS of power, at idle.
A Fujitsu 80 GB 5400 RPM SATA notebook drive uses .65 WATTS of power, at idle.

And with higher wattage comes higher heat load. Of course, the under load rates are 2.5 and 1.9 W, so either way you are using more power. Thus more fan use, and more battery drain.

Source: http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=314
Source: http://www.fujitsu.com/global/services/computing/storage/hdd/mhdd/mhw2xxxbh-catalog.html

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.