Monolingual + keyboard not working

Reaction score
hi guys, let me just say that monolingual really messed up my macbook badly. I removed a bunch of architectures (all previous versions), now certain programs such as Firefox and Word crash at launch. I also accidentally removed the AppleKeyboardLayouts.bundle...I got a friend to send me this file, however the problem is...when I copy it into the Keyboard Layouts Folder, I am asked to enter my admin password, but I obviously can't do this because my keyboard isn't even working. Furthermore, I can't reinstall mac os x because, again, I am asked for my password, but no keyboard...You can see that I'm in a really frustrating situation. I absolutely need my laptop to work for school, and I don't know what to do at this point. I already did a slew of Google searches on this problem. Is there maybe a way to remove the admin password without being prompted for a new pw?

Any help would be so appreciated! Thanks. I'm desperate. plz reply.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
You can access your computer via screen sharing from another computer, if you disabled automatic login.

OP
S
Reaction score
You can access your computer via screen sharing from another computer, if you disabled automatic login.

This won't be an option anymore, because I accidentally clicked on the lock at the bottom left of the sharing screen in the preferences, now when I reclick on it, it asks for my admin password. (Screen sharing wasn't on when I pressed this). Is there a way to install mac os x without having to enter anything on the keyboard. I'm completely screwed now. I need help.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Keyboard without a keyboard - am assuming your mouse still works.

System Preferences - International - Input Tab - put a check next to Keyboard Viewer - Close it up

Now on your menu bar you'll notice a flag next to the time typically - click on that flag and then select 'Show Keyboard Viewer'. You'll now have an onscreen keyboard you can use to type with your mouse.

OP
S
Reaction score
Keyboard without a keyboard - am assuming your mouse still works.

System Preferences - International - Input Tab - put a check next to Keyboard Viewer - Close it up

Now on your menu bar you'll notice a flag next to the time typically - click on that flag and then select 'Show Keyboard Viewer'. You'll now have an onscreen keyboard you can use to type with your mouse.

this is a good idea, but the little flag won't show because the file that monolingual removed gets rid of that flag thingy all together. Any other ideas? I don't feel like sending my mac to the store to get it fixed (especially if i don't even know if they'll know how).

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The absolute easiest way would be to restore from your backup drive. Hoping others begin to see why that $100 - $200 for an external backup is money well spent.

In lieu of that and I'm no expert, but sounds to me like you're going to need to reinstall OS X.
You'll need to insert your DVD and restart the machine while holding down the 'C' key. Yes, the keyboard will work here. You'll probably want to choose the 'Archive and Install' option. See here for more info.

Just as an FYI for others: Do not use monolingual if you're using MS Office for Mac on your computer. You will create problems with this program.

OP
S
Reaction score
The absolute easiest way would be to restore from your backup drive. Hoping others begin to see why that $100 - $200 for an external backup is money well spent.

In lieu of that and I'm no expert, but sounds to me like you're going to need to reinstall OS X.
You'll need to insert your DVD and restart the machine while holding down the 'C' key. Yes, the keyboard will work here. You'll probably want to choose the 'Archive and Install' option. See here for more info.

Just as an FYI for others: Do not use monolingual if you're using MS Office for Mac on your computer. You will create problems with this program.

Thank you so much. You made my week! Things seem to be working now.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad to be of service.

Stay away from monolingual now.;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.