iPad resale values?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Any guesstimate as to how they'll hold up once the new ones drop? I want one, but it seems like they're getting on in the life cycle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I want one, but it seems like they're getting on in the life cycle.

Are you saying that it seems the current version has been out for a long time? Sorry, just not understanding that last sentence.

Anyways, to offer my $.02, I'd guesstimate they will drop about $100 in price.
So a 16GB Wi-Fi only would go for around $400? Something like that. One has already popped up in the refurb store for $450 but it was gone in no time.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Any guesstimate as to how they'll hold up once the new ones drop? I want one, but it seems like they're getting on in the life cycle.

I think that it's tough to estimate. They're a new product (only 7-8 months old at this point) with version 1.0 still being the newest version. When iPad 2.0 is released...iPad 1.0's value (at least at first) will still probably remain high...since there may be a lot of people just like you looking for a used iPad.

Also:

- we have absolutely no idea what features or improvements (if any) will be in iPad 2.0
- and we have absolutely no idea what the prices will be for iPad 2.0

...so these two factors will be BIG parameters in how a used iPad 1.0 is valued by consumers when iPad 2.0 is released (assuming there will be an iPad 2.0 release).

For example...let's say iPad 2.0 has a:

- faster processor
- base model has 32gig of ram instead of 16gig
- includes a webcam
- improved battery life
- etc. etc.

...and let's say the base model iPad 2.0 sells for $399.00. All these things considered...the value of a used iPad 1.0 with inferior features would have to be less than $399.

Even if the base model iPad 2.0 sold for $499 (same as the base model iPad 1.0)...if iPad 2.0 has improved specs...that would help reduce the value of used iPad 1.0's.

But the bottom line is...this is all just a bunch of "hot air" & guessing!!!;) We won't really know how to value used iPad 1.0's until we see what iPad 2.0's features are & what it's selling price is.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I think that it's tough to estimate.

Nice post there Nick. Even though you stated in the 1st line that " you think that it's tough to estimate", i think you have hit the nail on the head there with your common sense approach, and forward thinking.

Im in the same boat as the Village Idiot and eagerly wait in anticipation of the next .v iPad release. I have never bought a product that is the 1st one out (except for my SS Holden Commodore (car)), so will look to purchase a iPad when the next release is here. Lets just hope the prices drop to e decent $amount and if they do, it will be defiantly replacing my current 3rd Gen iPod Touch .......(if i can find it which i havnt since my 7yr old has been playing with it :( )

Mac2Sell hasnt as yet put a iPad on there site to get a guesstimation
Cheers

C

chas_m

I have never bought a product that is the 1st one out (except for my SS Holden Commodore (car)), so will look to purchase a iPad when the next release is here.

See you next April!

Lets just hope the prices drop to e decent $amount

Personally I would be surprised if they drop at all. There is so much additional stuff being crammed into the next version (at least by the wishful thinkers) that I can't see it dropping in price.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Personally I would be surprised if they drop at all. There is so much additional stuff being crammed into the next version (at least by the wishful thinkers) that I can't see it dropping in price.

Pretty much what I'm thinking as well!:)

@everyone: Using the many many product launches I've seen from Apple in the past...the price point of a product usually doesn't get reduced much (if any) when a newer version of a product is released...especially when it's a "hot" product, and we would only be on version 2.0 of the iPad. If we were talking version 4.0, or 5.0...maybe.

What does happen is the new version is more feature packed:

- faster processor
- more ram
- more storage space
- more features
- different case design
- longer battery life
- reduced weight
- larger/ smaller screen
- 3G standard

...any combination is possible. The new product version (in this case iPad 2.0) the WiFi base model would probably start at or close to the price of iPad v1.0 at $499 (US).

One way a price reduction is possible...is if a new "variant" of the iPad was released...such as a "rumored" smaller 7" iPad. But this is only a rumor.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.