moshi clearguard keyboard protector

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 13" Macbook Pro 4GB ram 160GB HD/8GB iPod touch 1G/iPod Classic 120 GB
So I was looking into buying this for my brand new macbook pro that I will be getting next week but I was a little concerned when I read this :
(its from the apple online MBP manual)
"Never place anything over the keyboard when operating your
MacBook Pro."
Does this include keyboard protectors?
I would think it does since it says "anything" and doesn't list any exceptions.
Could they possibly cause problems like overheating?
(i've heard that the MB vents through the keyboard)
advice would be great

0305831_186874.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 13.3" || iMac 20" 2.16 GHz C2D, 250 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, || 32GB i-Phone 4 || 32GB AT&T 3G iPad
I have the Moshi keyboard protector on my relatively new 13" MBP. The protector doesn't stick onto the keyboard like a screen protector like on my iPhone per se. It pretty much just covers the keyboard to prevent crumbs and other foreign items like soda and water from getting in between the keys or on the keyboard. The protector just slides right on and off. You can take it off, clean it and put it back on. I like it. It serves its purpose.

Reaction score
I have a moshi too and I cannot possibly see how it could harm anything. Its not like the keyboard area is a major vent port. The moshi is super thin and easy to remove. Besides keeping the keys clean it does little else (as it should).

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Could they possibly cause problems like overheating?
(i've heard that the MB vents through the keyboard)
advice would be great

I know that when I'm working my MacBook Pro (a lot of hard drive & DVD drive running)...I can feel a decent amount of heat coming from the keyboard.

So I would think putting anything over the keyboard, would increase the temp. of the laptop. But is this increase anything to be concerned about...who knows.

If you're really concerned, you could download a program that monitors the temp of your computer...and then you could do a test with & without the keyboard protector & see how it effects the temp.

- Nick

OP
macgirl2423
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 13" Macbook Pro 4GB ram 160GB HD/8GB iPod touch 1G/iPod Classic 120 GB
I know that when I'm working my MacBook Pro (a lot of hard drive & DVD drive running)...I can feel a decent amount of heat coming from the keyboard.

So I would think putting anything over the keyboard, would increase the temp. of the laptop. But is this increase anything to be concerned about...who knows.

If you're really concerned, you could download a program that monitors the temp of your computer...and then you could do a test with & without the keyboard protector & see how it effects the temp.

- Nick

That sounds like a good idea to me. My only other concern was that a lot of reviews mentioned that if you typed too fast the thing would go sliding around. Im a pretty fast at typing, and will have to be since I'm going to be a busy college student in the fall. I think it would drive me nuts if I was trying to type up a paper.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
That sounds like a good idea to me. My only other concern was that a lot of reviews mentioned that if you typed too fast the thing would go sliding around. Im a pretty fast at typing, and will have to be since I'm going to be a busy college student in the fall. I think it would drive me nuts if I was trying to type up a paper.

If you do the "temperature experiment"...please post your results!

As far as the keyboard protector sliding around...maybe some other folks that have them can give their opinion...but if it is possible for it to slide around during very fast typing, you could apply a couple small pieces of "invisible" tape to see if that helps keep it from sliding.

- Nick

Reaction score
If you do the "temperature experiment"...please post your results!

As far as the keyboard protector sliding around...maybe some other folks that have them can give their opinion...but if it is possible for it to slide around during very fast typing, you could apply a couple small pieces of "invisible" tape to see if that helps keep it from sliding.

- Nick

I use istat pro and there was no (there was about one degree shift 53 to 54) temp change with the cover off or on. But that could simply be due to small changes in what I was doing at the time.
No this cover does not slide around at all in my experience. The chicklet style keys would make it sliding around next to impossible. I could see it sliding on the older style MBP keyboards. If your really that concerned just use it when your going to be eating or surfing with your computer.

Reaction score

I'm also a college student (female) and I type around 70wpm. I have no issues typing with my Moshi keyboard protector. It is really easy to clean and I have no complaints about it. I'm rocking an '08 White, though, and the keys fit mine perfectly but I've heard they don't always fit right on the new keyboards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I know people usually say to go for the "name brand" version, but you can get the same thing off of ebay for less than 4 bucks! I bought 3 of them, so I can keep them in 3 different areas and not worry about moving them around. As with the heat issues, I have not noticed any difference...to the point that I worry about it. I am running my mbp right now while using the 9600m, watching youtube video playlists , and have itunes, firefox, safari, and iphoto open, with al these open, my temp is at 115 degrees F...with the keyboard protector. I hae had my computer on since I woke up in the morning. I also noticed that the cover doesn't fully seal the keyboard in a way that would prevent any kind of ventilation.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.