Old G3 Wireless problem ..?!?!?!?!?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
This has me stumped people.
I have the top of the line G3 i acquired for 0 dollars and couldnt be happier.
It has a complete reinstall of 10.4 have taken it to 10.4.11
The harddrive is at the Max of having a 30GB in it and decked out with a whole 384MB RAM.
20101205-xikng5qynip2x9sy92qpypwcxw.jpg

Now all works wonderfully. All Apps work well. Its quick and no lag from it.
Now what im trying to work out is why the wireless isnt working.
In System Profiler it says it has a Airport Card with Firmware 9.52 and Wireless Network not available.
It can pick up my home Wireless Network then when i put in my WAP2 Password to connect to the network it comes up with a Timeout or There is a problem connecting to the Network, Please try again.

Now i have done all the troubleshooting on these pages and i still cant get it to work on wireless. NO i cant to it via Cable as they are a mile apart.
In MacTracker it says AirportCard is a Option Requiring a Adapter.
20101205-kecmt415hq75ywsfefybk3nyny.jpg

So it that meaning that these didnt come with a Airport Card ?? and if my Machine Shows there is one then i shouldnt even need to worry.

The reason i want this up and going wirelessly is so i can sit with my MBP and play with the G3 from my MBP... Moving files around and bac=sically use it as the HardDrive for my ATV2 ..
And before the "Know it alls" come in and say the ATV2 and my old G3 are not compatible .... I Know. I just want help in getting the Wireless working and NOT a debate on WHY

If there is anymore Info i can supply ill be more than helpful

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
Hi,

The older airport cards cannot connect to WPA; you need to downgrade your encryption to WEP.

Hope this helps,

Cheers :)

Hugh

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Ahhhh thats a start
Thanks for that advice hugtheslug ..... Will do that when i have a chance and report back :)

Cheers

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The older airport cards cannot connect to WPA; you need to downgrade your encryption to WEP.

Yeah...I have a bunch of Mac's with older Airport cards...and found this out when I was setting up my router. It would be nice to have the 128-bit encryption of WPA.

- Nick

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@hugtheslug ... Mate Rep plus Virtual as well. You hit the nail on the head with this one. Changed it all then couldnt get on with any of my Mac's or iOS devices, so rang up my provider and they fixed the rest ...

How cool and fun this is Playing with a 10yr old G3 iMac from my 2010 MBP ... Love it and thanks again :)

Yeah...I have a bunch of Mac's with older Airport cards...and found this out when I was setting up my router. It would be nice to have the 128-bit encryption of WPA.

- Nick

Yea that would be nice as well Nick... But where im living ATM havnt a big need for the Secret Squirrel 128 Bit as there isnt a great deal of dwelings around me ......
Im just happy i can now connect with it, PLUS see it from my MBP
Soo cool !!!!! A big kid at heart lol

Thanks to all

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo - eMac 1.42 GHz (RIP) - iMac G3 400 MHz - iPad 2 16GB

I know the feeling. I often turn my G3 on just so I can see it sitting there in my finder.:p

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yea that would be nice as well Nick... But where im living ATM havnt a big need for the Secret Squirrel 128 Bit as there isnt a great deal of dwelings around me ......

I probably don't NEED 128-bit encryption either...just nice to have in case there happens to be a someone in the neighborhood looking for a challenge breaking into folks WiFi networks.

Yes it is pretty darn cool to be wireless!!! And to be able to wirelessly connect to other wireless computers in your home. I remember the days when ethernet was the only networking choice (actually ethernet or Appletalk...for folks who even know what that was);). And so back then you were limited by where you were willing to run all the wires.

- Nick

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know the feeling. I often turn my G3 on just so I can see it sitting there in my finder.:p

And it has been in mine for the last hr and fun too the point i was smiling and my 7yr old son asked "why you so happy dad" and i said bc i can see that (pointing across the room) computer on here ..... He turned looking at me wierd and went back to watching Ben 10 lol

I probably don't NEED 128-bit encryption either...just nice to have in case there happens to be a someone in the neighborhood looking for a challenge breaking into folks WiFi networks.

Yes it is pretty darn cool to be wireless!!! And to be able to wirelessly connect to other wireless computers in your home. I remember the days when ethernet was the only networking choice (actually ethernet or Appletalk...for folks who even know what that was);). And so back then you were limited by where you were willing to run all the wires.

- Nick

And i hate wires now ... It is cool but have no idea what Appletalk is (until i hit wiki) ....
Like the way its all heading now.
Airport Express with speakers to play music in my room, via iPod Touch Remote.
ATV2 streaming all my media with the iPod Remote as well.
Wireless connection to my G3
LOVE IT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo - eMac 1.42 GHz (RIP) - iMac G3 400 MHz - iPad 2 16GB
And it has been in mine for the last hr and fun too the point i was smiling and my 7yr old son asked "why you so happy dad" and i said bc i can see that (pointing across the room) computer on here ..... He turned looking at me wierd and went back to watching Ben 10 lol

And i hate wires now ... It is cool but have no idea what Appletalk is (until i hit wiki) ....
Like the way its all heading now.
Airport Express with speakers to play music in my room, via iPod Touch Remote.
ATV2 streaming all my media with the iPod Remote as well.
Wireless connection to my G3
LOVE IT

I admit, when my friend comes over with his Macbook, I oddly excited about having another mac on my network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Struth you roosters get your kicks in unusual ways......but to each his own I guess.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Struth you roosters get your kicks in unusual ways......but to each his own I guess.

HAHA yep we do Harry :)

But it is good for me bc the more i Delve into the world of Mac, im starting to realise the options and possibilities that these machines offer ... And its great......
For me grew up on a farm and in a town of 4500people so this is me taking back my childhood lol

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright then, now its all up and working, happily transferring files in between the 2 systems, why cant i see my MBP in the G3 finder window ??

I open up iTunes on the G3 and i can see my MBP library even though they arnt compatible
But why dont i see my 13" in the Finder window of the G3 ?? Is it a compatibility issue or something simple like that ??

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bringing this thread back, as the more i am learning the scarier it is.

WEP Vs WPA i mean. WEP really isnt that secure and i posted in a thread where i went through my 50gb in the month 12 days before it rolls over to the next month, and now im shaped at 256kb/s and its killing me lol

Now im sure, but not a 100% but i think someone was playing on my network Grr Yes but it is my own fault........

On the above advice, would or could there be a APP out thre to allow my G3 to use a WPA secure connection other than the WEP a 7 yr old could crack (so i have heard) ?? Im gutted now that when i change my WEP to WPA im not going to see my G3 anymore.

Might be time to get rid of it ??
Any suggestions to this ???

Cheers

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
+1 for you champ . . . . Now how do i go about seeing what version Software it currently is then ??
In System Profiler it has the 9.52 Wireless Card FirmWare Version ?!?!?!?

And if it did have the AirPort software version 3.3 or later for the AirPort Card wouldnt it have let me connect to the WPA when i 1st set it up ?? I am probably confusing my self here but i really am a noob when it comes to these older machines .... Appreciate your time MacDude :)

Cheers

EDIT : Software Update doent bring anything up that is down the line of the right .v software ?? Confused i am lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
+1 for you champ . . . . Now how do i go about seeing what version Software it currently is then ??
In System Profiler it has the 9.52 Wireless Card FirmWare Version ?!?!?!?

And if it did have the AirPort software version 3.3 or later for the AirPort Card wouldnt it have let me connect to the WPA when i 1st set it up ?? I am probably confusing my self here but i really am a noob when it comes to these older machines .... Appreciate your time MacDude :)

Cheers

EDIT : Software Update doent bring anything up that is down the line of the right .v software ?? Confused i am lol

No problem. :) Is it possible that the first time you tried to connect the G3 you were using WPA2 instead of WPA? I'm not really an expert on wireless either.... and have been battling my own G3 to connect to the internet through my router for weeks now. :Grimmace: But anyway, If software update didn't turn up anything, I'd give it another try, just make certain that you're using WPA not WPA2.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea it was definitly WPA. As i was originally setting up my MBP, we had problems connecting to WPA2 so we downgraded there and then and i used a Pass-Phrase to extend the security...... Ill have another go and ill post back if im still experiencing problems ..... If i cant do it, looks like my G3 will not be on my network as i do want the WPA security now after getting the begeebers scared out of me, thinking someone is playing on my network :(
Will keep you in the loop mate ;)

Cheers

EDT : So what do you have set up WPA, WPA2 or WEP ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea it was definitly WPA. As i was originally setting up my MBP, we had problems connecting to WPA2 so we downgraded there and then and i used a Pass-Phrase to extend the security...... Ill have another go and ill post back if im still experiencing problems ..... If i cant do it, looks like my G3 will not be on my network as i do want the WPA security now after getting the begeebers scared out of me, thinking someone is playing on my network :(
Will keep you in the loop mate ;)

Cheers

EDT : So what do you have set up WPA, WPA2 or WEP ??

So it was WPA huh? I have to say that's really strange.

I currently don't have any wifi security at the moment. I had WEP set up for a while, but after the fiasco with the G3 (What is it with iMac G3's and the Internet?!) I haven't bothered to set it up again. But there isn't really anybody even within the range of the router, and those that are (they might get a 1 or 2 bar signal) don't even own a computer. That said, I see it rather pointless. :p

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So it was WPA huh? I have to say that's really strange.

I currently don't have any wifi security at the moment. I had WEP set up for a while, but after the fiasco with the G3 (What is it with iMac G3's and the Internet?!) I haven't bothered to set it up again. But there isn't really anybody even within the range of the router, and those that are (they might get a 1 or 2 bar signal) don't even own a computer. That said, I see it rather pointless. :p

LOL i get your point. I thought the same until i got Shaped 12 days out from my roll over ...

Well no joy. Just set up WPA on the router to connect MBP, 2x iPod touches and my ATV2. Tried to connect the G3 and yep same old problem with the error "There was a error joining th Airport network TattooedMac's Network" . . .

Just im really confused now from the link you supplied and what it said, then in the OP from hugtheslug where he posted
?!?!?!?!?!!???!?!?

Im lost now haha

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know, what he said is turning out to be correct, yet Apple itself says it should be possible. :| I suppose it's either A.Keep The G3 plugged in with an Ethernet cable, B.Stick with WEP or C. Don't use the G3 anymore :(

Maybe a WEP password like: 7883299uu02983I029KK74632778 would help? Just keep it somewhere on your computer for easy copying. :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.