The MacBook Pro That Saved My Back

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83GHz Intel Core Duo MacBook Pro with 1.5GB RAM and 80GB HDD.
Here follows a letter I sent to Apple a few days ago.

Greetings Apple,

I just wanted to let you know that one your products literally saved me from copious amounts of pain (while providing some as well) this past summer. Here's my story...

During the summer, I work as an Area Director at a Boy Scout resident summer camp in Pennsylvania's Lehigh Valley/Pocono area. My girlfriend, whom I met through this camp, also lives in that area. I live in Philadelphia, so needless to say, I do a lot of driving. During my one and only trip home of the summer to visit my siblings, two things happened: My car stereo was stolen (which I had just bought with my previous camp paycheck), and my first-generation MacBook Pro saved my back at great risk to its own well-being. See below:

bendythelaptop.gif

That grievous-looking bend occurred when I slipped backwards down a flight of old wooden stairs. But how did that occur? With my MacBook Pro "safely" tucked away inside my laptop backpack, I started down the stairs in question, my basement stairs, to relax on my MacBook Pro after a long trip home. On my way down, I must have lost my footing. I went down all of the old wooden steps on my back. Recovering, and wondering why my back was so devoid of pain, I realized a horrible truth: My backpack, and the laptop inside, broke my fall. It hadn't occurred to me just yet that my MacBook Pro could be damaged. Upon removing my beloved laptop from the bag, I saw the horrid sight you just saw above.

bendy2.gif

The point of this story? I just want to thank you and Apple for not cutting corners or using sub-par components. The construction of that MacBook Pro saved me from the wrath and destruction of an old wooden staircase, which would have surely caused me MUCH pain, if not a possible strain or break. What's the best part of all this? My MacBook Pro still works! The display, case, and SuperDrive may be bent to all ****, bit they STILL WORK (note: the SuperDrive still operates properly, except for the fact that I can't actually get a CD or DVD through the bent opening). My only regret is not having the money to purchase the components to make it as beautiful as it once was. This laptop is my life's blood, without it I'd have no income, couldn't keep up with friends and family, and my recreation time would be severely decreased. And after all of my 280lbs falling on it and down stairs, it still operates flawlessly.

bendy3.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
what an interesting story...

are you planning to have it repaired?

OP
agcm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
what an interesting story...

are you planning to have it repaired?
Perhaps in my wildest dreams. I don't ever see myself having the "extra" $400+ plus to replace the bent bottom and top case. But hey, the bright side is that it still works, right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
OP
agcm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here are the picture links:

Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3

For some reason they don't work using the URL tags, so you may need to copy and paste.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
they still dont work

Reaction score
I probably would have rather have taken my chances with the stairs that have a bent up MacBook...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Replace 'comast' with 'comcast' in the URL and you'll be able to see them.

OP
agcm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
they still dont work
Woops! Rookie mistake on my part. I simply mispelled something.

I probably would have rather have taken my chances with the stairs that have a bent up MacBook...
I didn't have a chance to react. One second I'm walking down stairs, the next I'm sliding down them on my laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
interesting story - shame the laptop took such a battering but I guess as you point out yourself it's definitely better than ending up with a smashed back or something nasty like that.

Pretty impressive that it still works. Was the battery affected at all - I'm not really sure where the battery is on a MBP.

Excluding the cosmetic damage; if the only problem is getting items in and out of the optical drive and replacing/repairing it is out of the question at the moment then an external dvd writer might be your best bet - loads cheaper than getting the MBP repaired.

They say bad luck runs in threes don't they?

1. Theft of Car Radio
2. Damaged MBP
- is there a third?

Dave.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook | Core2Duo 2.2GHz | 4GB RAM | 120GB HDD | OS X 10.6.2
It gives it character...kinda like a scar so you can tell your grandkids about it ;)

OP
agcm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pretty impressive that it still works. Was the battery affected at all - I'm not really sure where the battery is on a MBP.
No, the battery wasn't affected. It's set back further and slightly to the left.

Excluding the cosmetic damage; if the only problem is getting items in and out of the optical drive and replacing/repairing it is out of the question at the moment then an external dvd writer might be your best bet - loads cheaper than getting the MBP repaired.
I've considered it, but to be honest, I don't use CD's or DVD's all that much anyway. Sure, I miss watching movies on this gorgeous screen and burning CD's for the car stereo I no longer have. A good external DVD/CD burner (mmm, Lightscribe) would cost roughly the same as a new bottom enclosure anyhow.

They say bad luck runs in threes don't they?

1. Theft of Car Radio
2. Damaged MBP
- is there a third?

Dave.
Now that you mention it, a week later I nearly broke my ankle at work. I was on crutches for weeks. I hadn't even thought about that. Now if only GOOD luck came in threes as well.

Reaction score
Now that you mention it, a week later I nearly broke my ankle at work. I was on crutches for weeks.
The laptop could have saved you from a lifetime of pain, literally. But maybe you need new glasses (only half-facetiously).

OP
agcm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Typically, I wouldn't consider myself accident-prone, but this past summer seemed to be an exception. As for new glasses, I don't wear the pair I have :).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.