Fresh install of Lion

Reaction score
Hi all, sorry if this has been posted already, but wanted to do a fresh install of loin this week. Currently, I have a 15" early 2011 mbp and 1TB time machine capsule for backups.

My question(s), if I format my disk and reinstall Loin over internet can i grab my itunes, iphoto and certain applications from time machine backups? Or do I need to backup these previous to a fresh install?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Loin: the part of a human being or quadruped on each side of the spinal column between the hipbone and the false ribs

Lion: a version of the Mac operating system...also known as OS 10.7

- Nick

p.s. "Lion" misspelt 3x.;) And yes...it is important...since it is the name of a Mac OS version...and a pretty big part of the post!:)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Loin: the part of a human being or quadruped on each side of the spinal column between the hipbone and the false ribs . . .

Just finished installing some loin (and ribs) smoked and served with BBQ sauce on the side. ;D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First, why do you need to do a reinstall? Mac OS X rarely if ever needs to be reinstalled. If you're having problems perhaps we can help.

And yes, you should backup everything before reinstalling including any applications you wish to save such as your iPhoto library and your iTunes music library. Also, there's no need to format the disk as Lion will do an in place archive and install.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I changed in the thread title Loin to Lion so poor users here won't think there is some new OSX named after a body part! :D

Raving Mac, you are funny! :D

OP
J
Reaction score
Apologies on the spelling, sometimes I just type without checking.

But thanks for the information. I will backup before I reinstall.

The reason I wish to reinstall - my son has installed a lot of crappy games and or software on my laptop. Things are running a little slow of late. I'm used to reinstalling my windows desktop every year but its been nearly two years for this laptop.
Anyway, I was thinking of upgrading to Mountain Lion. Figured a clean install would be better.

But so I am clear, I can restore iTunes and iPhoto from time machine, right?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
But so I am clear, I can restore iTunes and iPhoto from time machine, right?

After doing the fresh install of Mountain Lion, restore all your data and applications using your Time Machine full backup. The full restore of Time Machine will not overwrite anything from Mountain Lion.

Important!

Do not create an account on your Mac after installing Mountain Lion as your Time Machine backup will take care of that for you. Otherwise you'll end up with two accounts and lots of confusion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.