Macpro keyboard

OP
T
Reaction score
I gotta say that's a ploy to make money. I have been worshiping Apple and Jesus Jobs for 20 years. Lately I've been thinking them getting a little dirty on the hustle tip. I mean C'mon, this is a 2 year old MacPro not 8 years old or something. That should be made clear at the time of purchase. I hope SL doesn't jack up any of my apps and settings. I hate doing major upgrades, it always means traumatic discoveries in the week to come. I have work dammit.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I know that. The new keyboard will not work with 10.5.8.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
it looks identical except for 1 key in the F keys. How would I even know. this sucks.

It says so right there in the System Requirements.

Minimum System Requirements

• Mac computer with available USB 1.1 or USB 2.0 port
  • Mac OS X v10.6.8 or later
  • Keyboard software update

OP
T
Reaction score
I wouldn't know what it says after I purchased it. I walked into the apple store, told them what computer I had and they asked if I wanted one with a cord or without. I purchased it and have been struggling to figure out "WHY" for the last few days but only started in-depth investigating today because it's annoying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wouldn't know what it says after I purchased it. I walked into the apple store, told them what computer I had and they asked if I wanted one with a cord or without. I purchased it and have been struggling to figure out "WHY" for the last few days but only started in-depth investigating today because it's annoying.

I'm fairly certain that the requirements are on the box also. But the people at the Store should have known better. So… now that you know, you can either upgrade the OS or take it back and get the right one. They may not carry them, but they can be gotten. This one should work for you:
(EDIT: redacted… not sure if these older white ones will work)

EDIT: here's an early aluminum one. The part number, if you care to search around for it, is MB110LL/A
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apple/MB110LLANBB/

EDIT: Here's that old version aluminum one on Amazon… should be new in box:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000V07N9U/?tag=macforums0e4-20

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks but that isn't my KB. My keyboard isn't white like that and standing up at an angle in clear plastic. Mine looks exactly like the first KB I sent and is on aluminum. I'll figure it out thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm not sure how to respond. It's the standard apple keyboard. It isn't wireless.
MacPro 2 x 2.26 Quad core intel xeon

One thing to be aware of...some of those function keys won't work with certain setups.

For example (since you have a desktop...a Mac Pro)...the display brightness may not work with certain setups (non-Apple monitors). I have the same keyboard as you plugged into my MacBook Pro (as well as an external monitor). Using the external Apple keyboard F-Keys...I cannot adjust the brightness on either my external monitor or my MacBook Pro's display (but all of the other F-key functions work fine). I can adjust the MacBook Pro display's brightness using the F-keys on the MBP's built-in keyboard.

Maybe you can tell us what keys are working & which aren't.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks but that isn't my KB. My keyboard isn't white like that and standing up at an angle in clear plastic. Mine looks exactly like the first KB I sent and is on aluminum. I'll figure it out thanks.

Dangit… you posted back while I was editing my post. O:) The model number you need is MB110LL/A. Links to examples in prior post.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I gotta say that's a ploy to make money. I have been worshiping Apple and Jesus Jobs for 20 years. Lately I've been thinking them getting a little dirty on the hustle tip. I mean C'mon, this is a 2 year old MacPro not 8 years old or something. That should be made clear at the time of purchase. I hope SL doesn't jack up any of my apps and settings. I hate doing major upgrades, it always means traumatic discoveries in the week to come. I have work dammit.

Let's not jump the gun here...and start sounding like an "Apple-Hater"!;) It's probably just a misunderstanding of some sort.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just recently replaced my Keyboard because some keys were dead and some sticking.
Plugged my new one in and none of the F keys work right. The volume up does the dashboard and etc. so on. I cannot figure out how to restore the normal functionality to this KB and I have tried the preferences already.:Angry:

After reading your original post...I have a question. Was your old keyboard the same type of keyboard as you just purchased (both are the slim aluminum keyboard with the white "chicklet" keys)?

If both keyboards are the same design...are the function keys laid out exactly the same way?

Did all the function keys on the old keyboard work fine?

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Aluminum with the chicklets and number pad, Yes the exact same KB except F4 on old is a speedometer icon and on the new, It's a six up square grid. That is it and yes they all worked perfect.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
After reading your original post...I have a question. Was your old keyboard the same type of keyboard as you just purchased (both are the slim aluminum keyboard with the white "chicklet" keys)?

If both keyboards are the same design...are the function keys laid out exactly the same way?

Did all the function keys on the old keyboard work fine?

- Nick

Nick. Apple DID cut out 10.5 and even some machines on newer versions of the USB keyboard with Numeric keypad. It was discussed here at one point. Will try and find the URL. I feel it's not fair. It's a keyboard! Keyboards should work on all machines. :D Grin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick. Apple DID cut out 10.5 and even some machines on newer versions of the USB keyboard with Numeric keypad. It was discussed here at one point. Will try and find the URL. I feel it's not fair. It's a keyboard! Keyboards should work on all machines. :D Grin

Well now, the keyboard does work. The function keys work perfectly well as function keys. Their alternate use to control specific features of the OS isn't what's working. That is darned peculiar though.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So does a Windows keyboard. The Apple keys do not function. I will not stick up for Apple on this. There is no excuse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So does a Windows keyboard. The Apple keys do not function. I will not stick up for Apple on this. There is no excuse.

Actually the more I thought about it… I'd wager it had something to do with switching to 64 bit kernel extensions. That did start with Snow Leopard, and the alternate use of the F-keys to control a number of system functions isn't exactly "standard" in keyboards. Some things, like Dashboard and Exposé/Mission Control can be easily re-mapped since they are just launching an app, but others like the volume and brightness tie more directly to the hardware. I'd bet that those system controls on the new keyboards simply don't work with 32-bit extensions. Whether or not they "could" is a matter of speculation. Maybe the firmware in them is pure 64-bit, thus excluding the ability to work with 32-bit extensions? Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can share some insight. In any event, it's a non-issue. The older keyboards are readily available, even if not direct from Apple. But it is confusing, that much I agree.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.