Want to upgrade Ram and Hard Drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook w/ 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo 512MB memory & SuperDrive
I have a Macbook and I have been running Boot Camp on it since June of 2006. I want to up the RAM in my machine to 2GB and replace the hard drive with something bigger. Should I remove all the necessary information from the Windows side prior to replacing the RAM. Or will it not make a difference? And are there any tricks to swapping hard drives without having to reinstall everything?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I have a Macbook and I have been running Boot Camp on it since June of 2006. I want to up the RAM in my machine to 2GB and replace the hard drive with something bigger. Should I remove all the necessary information from the Windows side prior to replacing the RAM. Or will it not make a difference? And are there any tricks to swapping hard drives without having to reinstall everything?

Clone your Drive with SuperDuper or CarbonCopy Cloner... I did the exact same thing (I used SuperDuper) bring my MacBook to 2gb RAM and a 250gb HD. Very easy to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD
RIDE has a thread that explains how he did it ...

Reaction score
The only thing that bugs me about memory swaps, in any laptop, is when you go from something like 1gig to 2gig of ram, you basically have to throw away the old ram because it is certainly in a 2X512mb config, so to upgrade by 1gig your buying 2. My new macbook arrived Monday and I sprung for the memory upgrade so I wouldn't have to deal with it lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
The only thing that bugs me about memory swaps, in any laptop, is when you go from something like 1gig to 2gig of ram, you basically have to throw away the old ram because it is certainly in a 2X512mb config, so to upgrade by 1gig your buying 2. My new macbook arrived Monday and I sprung for the memory upgrade so I wouldn't have to deal with it lol.

You're right about that, but the old RAM DOES make a good safety net. I had upgraded to 4GB just after I bought the machine and about a week later I got a black screen and nothing would revive it - I figured it was either a return or check out the RAM first, since it was new. When I removed the new RAM, I replaced it with the original 512 sticks and it ran fine. One of the new 2GB sticks had a damaged label which probably served to push the stick out of the slot just far enough to disable the machine. So I repaired the botched label and replaced the original RAM for the second time. It's been working now for better than a week. Moral: keep the old RAM around, JUST IN CASE :)

Noel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Blackbook 1gb/160gb
OWC also gives you a rebate if you send in your old RAM.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.