Temperature

Reaction score
I use Traktor 3.3 on my Macbook Pro that is running Leopard. This past weekend at a gig the traktor went crazy.. started flipping through screens and through pages. I reinstalled it twice and it would still do the same thing. A friend told me it might be my laptop overheating but it didnt feel that hot. I downloaded smcFanControl and whilst running traktor it gives me a temp reading of 125-130 F. at 2000 rpm.

Is this normal, is this the regular temp for a macbook pro?

If I increase the fans to 4000 rpm the temp quickly comes down to 100 F but I dont want to overwork the fans. Any suggestions?

Thanx in advance, any help is greatly appreciated.

Chim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Leave the fans the way they are and don't mess around with them. If the computer is getting too hot it will shut down before any damage is done.

You shouldn't have to mess around with the fans or anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 7200RPM 200GB
If you aren't using your notebook on your lap, there should be little reason to up the speed of the fans. I usually bring them up to 3000rpm or so, so that it doesn't burn a hole in my jeans. Eric is right though; the MBP is smart enough to shut itself down if it gets "too hot". 125-130 is perfectly normal for regular usage of your MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4GHz 4GB, 19in Viewsonic LCD, Mac Alum keyboard, Razer Diamondback 3G
Leave the fans the way they are and don't mess around with them. If the computer is getting too hot it will shut down before any damage is done.

You shouldn't have to mess around with the fans or anything.

no there def are times when it's good to ramp up the fans. Like when I'm running dual screens, photoshop, adium, transmition, firefox, and iTunes, it starts to get hot. And so I ramp up the fans to at least 4000rpm. I know that it will do it automatically but I'd rather have it run cooler and have the computer run faster, and I'm guessing in the long run will be better for my parts since I'm putting a lower temp load on them.

Reaction score
Those temperatures you are reporting are normal. I don't recommend messing with the fan speeds unless the temperatures are climbing with no rpm reaction, they should scale with the temperature. I think it is probably a software problem with Traktor.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.