can i connect macbook pro 15" to 2(!) screens

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Not if it' the one with the 9400m, the graphics set won't handle that much resolution... not sure, but think it's highly unlikely given the connections available if you have the dedicated card.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I recently had two screens connected to my 15" 2008 Mac Book Pro. It can't be done "out of the box" as far as I know. I was using a display adapter purchased from OWC to accomplish this.

I tested it for about a month and it worked well. It does not fully support Open GL hardware acceleration so some features will not work fully in programs like iPhoto that rely on Open GL. It handles up to 1600x1200 resolution so I am not sure how well it would work with the monitors you linked to. Here's my review In the included picture I had the device attached to a 17" monitor when I took the screenshot simply because that's what I had available for the second screen.

Tjere are several other products that provide similar functionality based upon this technology such as those found at the DisplayLink Store Some appear to support higher resolutions but check the specs carefully not all of them list Mac compatibility.

OP
A
Reaction score
I recently had two screens connected to my 15" 2008 Mac Book Pro. It can't be done "out of the box" as far as I know. I was using a display adapter purchased from OWC to accomplish this.

I tested it for about a month and it worked well. It does not fully support Open GL hardware acceleration so some features will not work fully in programs like iPhoto that rely on Open GL. It handles up to 1600x1200 resolution so I am not sure how well it would work with the monitors you linked to. Here's my review In the included picture I had the device attached to a 17" monitor when I took the screenshot simply because that's what I had available for the second screen.

Tjere are several other products that provide similar functionality based upon this technology such as those found at the DisplayLink Store Some appear to support higher resolutions but check the specs carefully not all of them list Mac compatibility.

So if i understand it right, you just use 2 USB to VGA converters and plug the 2 USB things in you macbook pro and the 2 VGA in the monitors?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
So if i understand it right, you just use 2 USB to VGA converters and plug the 2 USB things in you macbook pro and the 2 VGA in the monitors?

Basically, yes. But, you would connect the first monitor to the existing video out on your MBP and need only one of these devices for the 2nd monitor.

OP
A
Reaction score
Basically, yes. But, you would connect the first monitor to the existing video out on your MBP and need only one of these devices for the 2nd monitor.

And that will work perfectly when the monitors are 20inch? (1.680 x 1.050)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don't know about anyone else, but I'm not willing to say that anything will work "perfectly".

slydude has already advised you of some things that will not work in his first post above.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tested that setup with a 24" Samsung monitor. In the photo with two screens attached I had the Samsung attached directly to the MacBook pro and the 17" Gateway connected to the display adapter. That was just because of the cables I had. It could have been connected the other way round.

Most of the testing was done with the 24" monitor connected to the adapter so I don't see why it couldn't drive a 20" with a second connected to the Mac Book. You could use two of these devices but if you did that things requiring Open GL wouldn't work on either one. With one monitor directly connected you can move the affected program to that monitor.

OP
A
Reaction score
I tested that setup with a 24" Samsung monitor. In the photo with two screens attached I had the Samsung attached directly to the MacBook pro and the 17" Gateway connected to the display adapter. That was just because of the cables I had. It could have been connected the other way round.

Most of the testing was done with the 24" monitor connected to the adapter so I don't see why it couldn't drive a 20" with a second connected to the Mac Book. You could use two of these devices but if you did that things requiring Open GL wouldn't work on either one. With one monitor directly connected you can move the affected program to that monitor.

How can i see the picture? Sorry but i'm kinda new O:)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry about that. I thought I had included the link to my review in the previous post. Here's a direct link to the review ATPM 15.08 - Review: OWC USB 2.0 Display Adapter Apparently the copy of the review on the OWC site does not include the screenshots.

OP
A
Reaction score
Sorry about that. I thought I had included the link to my review in the previous post. Here's a direct link to the review ATPM 15.08 - Review: OWC USB 2.0 Display Adapter Apparently the copy of the review on the OWC site does not include the screenshots.

So if i see it right, you have in total 3 displays (one on the macbook itself) and you have 2 different views (macbook + grey display) and (black display) all running from the macbook pro?

(Sorry for my bad English, it is not my native language)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes. In that photo the gray screen is the 17" monitor connected to the display adapter. I had to connect it to the adapter because of the connection that was on that monitor. Most of the time I had the larger black monitor (24") connected to the adapter.

OP
A
Reaction score
Yes. In that photo the gray screen is the 17" monitor connected to the display adapter. I had to connect it to the adapter because of the connection that was on that monitor. Most of the time I had the larger black monitor (24") connected to the adapter.

And which USB to VGA u used again?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I used the OWC USB to DVI/HDMI/VGA Video Display (Up to... (VIDU2DVIA) at OWC during the review. It has all the connectors needed to connect either DVI, VGA, or HDMI monitors/TVs. For some monitors you may need an additional cable depending upon whether you need connections with male or female pins. These are not specialized cables though and should be available from a number of vendors.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.