Create a Super User?

Reaction score
Hello all, I was thinking about creating a new user on my mac specifically for work that isn't bogged down by all of the junk that I have with my current user. I'd have a simple gray background, no unneeded processes running and try to not download or use any performance altering applications like quicksilver, coversutra, and the like.

I was wondering if any of you have done this, if it works, and if anyone had any suggestions as to how I can make this user extremely fast. (maintenance scripts, applications like onyx, unneeded apps and processes, stuff like that)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Any fresh user account will seem a bit faster, but you might also just want to consider just tidying up your current user account...

Alternatively, you could also think about backing up all your data, erase and reinstall and then only copy the things back that you really need.

Switching users will just bog your Mac (and your work) down even more.

OP
poiklpu
Reaction score
Any fresh user account will seem a bit faster, but you might also just want to consider just tidying up your current user account...

Alternatively, you could also think about backing up all your data, erase and reinstall and then only copy the things back that you really need.

Switching users will just bog your Mac (and your work) down even more.

Thanks for the response, I try to keep this user as tidy as i can. I have onyx installed and I try to maintain this user account but the rest of my family occasionally uses my computer as well. I was hoping there might be a way for me to restart the computer and just log into the "work" user and have a machine not bogged down by all the extras that my sister and little brother install on here. And I actually have tried the back up and bring back the essentials thing but both times didn't work out too well. (hard drive failure and a few other mishaps) This is sort of the list that I ran down up till now, and i'm sort of just looking for something that isn't as cumbersome, thanks for the suggestion however

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I think that Aptmunich hit the nail on the head, and if you if you are going to allow this sort of use on your Mac as stated above by yourself, that you are between a rock and a hard place!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Set up your own User and let the family use the current one. Seems only logical choice to me. Better still, you have the Admin User account and set them up with a Standard User Account, that way you have some idea of what is installed and if it is slowing things down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Set up your own User and let the family use the current one. Seems only logical choice to me. Better still, you have the Admin User account and set them up with a Standard User Account, that way you have some idea of what is installed and if it is slowing things down.
Yeah, if you have other people using the computer, it's a bit of a different situation and it might not be a bad idea to sandbox them in a normal user account...

Or you could go the really harsh route and only let them use the guest account - which is auto-reset everytime they log out ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hello all, I was thinking about creating a new user on my mac specifically for work that isn't bogged down by all of the junk that I have with my current user. I'd have a simple gray background, no unneeded processes running and try to not download or use any performance altering applications like quicksilver, coversutra, and the like.

I was wondering if any of you have done this, if it works, and if anyone had any suggestions as to how I can make this user extremely fast. (maintenance scripts, applications like onyx, unneeded apps and processes, stuff like that)

One thing I'd like to point out that I didn't see mentioned… if you have all these extras installed for "all users", then creating a new user will be of no avail. What you really would have to do is uninstall all this stuff, then only install them on a user-by-user basis. Definitely consider limiting others who use the computer to a standard account so they can't go and install something for "everyone".

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.