New Mac Pro freezes at blue screen

Reaction score
About a month ago, I bought a brand spankin' new Mac Pro and copied everything over from my G5.

It works GREAT...however...

About 1/3rd of the time, when I turn it on, it freezes at the blue screen during startup. I have to power down my Mac by holding the "on" button and start it up again to get it to start normal.

Oddly enough, after installing a recent update I'm also getting a message that says "Insecure Startup Items folder detected" everytime I get to the desktop.

What's the problem?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
See if you can start in SAFE mode by booting and holding down the shift key until you see the Apple appear. Once booted, open System Preferences, Accounts, highlight your account, and click on Login items. Take a look at what it is that you might have loading on startup. It might be a startup item that's causing the problem(s). Removing the items one by one is a good way of trouble shooting.

There are other places that programs startup from but for now we'll focus on this one.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, that was a start. Now look in the following folders:

MacIntosh HD/Library/StartupItems/

MacIntosh HD/Library/LaunchAgents/

MacIntosh HD/Library/LaunchDaemons

Something in one of those folders may be the culprit. Try eliminating them one at a time until the error stops.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Trust you did a clean install of Snow Leopard as a the OS on the G5 will be incompatible with the Mac Pro.

OP
A
Reaction score
Tried eliminating all the files in my startup/launch folders. Still nothing.

Would a clean install of Snow Leopard effect my files and applications in any way?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tried eliminating all the files in my startup/launch folders. Still nothing.

Would a clean install of Snow Leopard effect my files and applications in any way?

Yes, a clean install would wipe out your data and applications. So if you decide to go that route be sure to have a good backup on hand.

Also, your machine should still be under Apple's warranty. Perhaps it might be best to visit your local genius bar and have them look at it. I know it's a large machine to lug around but you also have to consider that you have a substantial investment in it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.