• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Switching from MacBook Pro to MacBook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
I bought a black MacBook today at the Apple store, shortly after sending my MacBook Pro in for a series of repairs. Once it is returned, I'll sell it on eBay and use the money to pick up a new 24" iMac desktop.

So why did I "downgrade" to a MacBook? It's smaller, lighter, longer battery life, better wireless reception, more durable, runs cooler, and does everything I need from a notebook.

I do video and graphic work, but I've decided to delegate that task to the iMac in a few weeks after I get it. I really cringed when I saw the graphic capabilities (or lack of) on this laptop, but realized I had zero use for them.

It's a sexy little laptop, thus far! I hope I'm happier with it than I was the MacBook Pro. I absolutely cannot *wait* for the 24" iMac! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
Nice choice. I love my black MacBook, and the new 24" iMacs are off the wall. If I had the spare cash, I would probably have to get one myself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I like the black macbook too, I'm thinking of picking one up in the coming months so I can have a personal laptop with no business stuff on it what so ever. I also saw the 24" imac in the apple store when I was there last, that thing is soooo big!

OP
Osiris22x
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
So I've been using my new MacBook for almost a week now. The battery life on this thing is *wicked* compared to my MacBook Pro. I'm LOVING it, I feel like I can actually use it out and about without dragging the charger everywhere.

It definitely feels more sturdy than my MacBook Pro as this plastic doesn't flex as much as the aluminum does.

My only complaint thus far is that this black plastic shows smears and smudges like it's nobody's business.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i love my white macbook.

i may have to get an imac for games and such though...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No mac yet...
. . .

I do video and graphic work, but I've decided to delegate that task to the iMac in a few weeks after I get it. I really cringed when I saw the graphic capabilities (or lack of) on this laptop, but realized I had zero use for them.

. . .

Hi,
Is it really that bad? Could you tell a little more on the (lack of) capabilities of the on-board Macbook video card? For some photo editing in photoshop for example...

Thanks,
Marcio

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0 GHz 1 GB
I don't think you'll find the Intel graphics chip in the MacBooks limiting you when it comes to photo editing and other 2d tasks, at least not if you have enough system memory (since it's shared between graphics and applications), but the chip isn't really up to complex realtime 3d graphics.

I wanted to try out Second Life, for instance, but the Intel card in my MacBook doesn't cut it.

On the other hand, it's perfectly OK for less demanding 3d. Google Earth runs OK, for instance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
ive had both machines and can tell you my experiences.

the mbp is the clear winner. i dont know how the heck the OPer said the plastic flexs less than the aluminum on the pro. no way. and as far as the mb running cooler, thats a big no way. my mbp never gets that hot case wise... the mb gets extremely warm , the whole case.

my mb hd seemed quiker than the 120gb hd in my mbp. and the mb battery is much better, about 45 min

Reaction score
MacBook & Video Editing

I've heard conflicting reports on the MacBook and editing home video. I've heard that video editing is NOT 3D, so the video card is less critical than having adequate memory (say, 2GB) and a fast processor.

I chatted with an Apple "expert" on the Apple.com website; they indicated that a MacBook Pro would be best "if doing video editing more than once per week."

Setting aside the fact that I don't buy the frequency of my video editing activities as relevant to the decision, can anyone shed some light on whether the discrete video card is that critical to video editing?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
personally i love my macbook but i dont feel that the any laptop personally cant reach the levels of what a desktop machine can give you my dell at home blows my old MBP out of the water when it comes to editing video or 3d graphics.

T

todd51

Now that I have my MBP, I have wished that I had just bought a Macbook with more ram. It would have been a lot cheaper for me and I never realized that it got longer battery life? How much longer does it get?

When I have my MBP with the lowest screen brightness and just running Firefox, I get about 4 hours.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 Imac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD
I've heard conflicting reports on the MacBook and editing home video. I've heard that video editing is NOT 3D, so the video card is less critical than having adequate memory (say, 2GB) and a fast processor.

I chatted with an Apple "expert" on the Apple.com website; they indicated that a MacBook Pro would be best "if doing video editing more than once per week."

Setting aside the fact that I don't buy the frequency of my video editing activities as relevant to the decision, can anyone shed some light on whether the discrete video card is that critical to video editing?

Thanks in advance.

I found an interesting article with benchmarks for final cut pro on a macbook compared to a macbook pro and a Dual G5 tower. Very interesting results.

http://videoediting.digitalmedianet.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=43717

I am interested enough to buy a Macbook from a store with a really good return warranty and try it out with Final Cut pro and see how well it work. I am in the market for a Macbook or macbook pro, this test will determine which I get.

Reaction score
I found an interesting article with benchmarks for final cut pro on a macbook compared to a macbook pro and a Dual G5 tower. Very interesting results.

http://videoediting.digitalmedianet.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=43717

I am interested enough to buy a Macbook from a store with a really good return warranty and try it out with Final Cut pro and see how well it work. I am in the market for a Macbook or macbook pro, this test will determine which I get.

Interesting article. The tests were on the Core Duo, not the newer Core 2 Duo, so I would expect even better results with the latest hardware

Perhaps a MacBook would be good enough for me, as I only periodically edit videos and probably would just use iMovie.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.