Unaccounted for Hard Drive Space

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'09 8-core MacPro | '12 MBA | iPad 2 16GB | iPhone 5C 16GB
I just did some quick adding and all my folders (applications, movies, music and photos) combined amount to about 78GB of Hard Drive space. Now, I have a 120GB drive in my MBP and it's telling me I only have 11GB of free space left. So I have ±32GB of unaccounted for space. I'm planning on going out soon to pickup an external drive to store all my media on, but I'm just curious if I can find out where that mysterious chunk of space went and if I can free it up. Any ideas? Thanks fellas!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
First of all, 120GB isn't really 120GB. 1 Mb = 1,024 bytes. Get the idea?

Otherwise, d/l a program called "What Size". It sizes everything on your computer so you can see exactly where all your space is disappearing to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Download a program called Disk Inventory X to see where all your space is allocated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Or just view your hard disk in List view, and check the "Calculate all sizes" box in the View Options window.

OP
Sexy Patrol
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First of all, 120GB isn't really 120GB. 1 Mb = 1,024 bytes. Get the idea?

Otherwise, d/l a program called "What Size". It sizes everything on your computer so you can see exactly where all your space is disappearing to.

Yeah I know in all actuality I have about 111GB of space to use, that's what I used in my math to figure I have about 32GB missing space. Thanks I'll check out that program.

Download a program called Disk Inventory X to see where all your space is allocated.

Or just view your hard disk in List view, and check the "Calculate all sizes" box in the View Options window.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check 'em all out! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I've responded to this kind of thing before.

My guess is OS X is reporting your drive capacity at about 111.75GB instead of nearly 120GB. Use Disk Utility in the Utiltities folder to look at it.

You have accounted for 78GB + 11GB free space to equal only 89GB, so you are missing the counting of about 22GB. That seems like a lot given the OS doesn't take that much space. By the way, which version of OS X are you using and have you emptied the trash? Do you have some fancy professional video or audio editing application installed, or third party extensions to iMovie or Garage Band.

I suspect you haven't counted everything. It would be very abnormal for the system to not report back the correct numbers.

Reaction score
32 gig is the size of a Parallels partition... do you have XP installed on you unit?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
32 gig is the size of a Parallels partition... do you have XP installed on you unit?

Not for everyone. Mine is only a few gigs, I think somewhere around six.

OP
Sexy Patrol
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've responded to this kind of thing before.

My guess is OS X is reporting your drive capacity at about 111.75GB instead of nearly 120GB. Use Disk Utility in the Utiltities folder to look at it.

You have accounted for 78GB + 11GB free space to equal only 89GB, so you are missing the counting of about 22GB. That seems like a lot given the OS doesn't take that much space. By the way, which version of OS X are you using and have you emptied the trash? Do you have some fancy professional video or audio editing application installed, or third party extensions to iMovie or Garage Band.

I suspect you haven't counted everything. It would be very abnormal for the system to not report back the correct numbers.

I added up the sizes of all the folders and subtracted the total from the 111GB of total space estimated by the computer. And I'd assume it's reasonably accurate since Apple makes a point of noting on their site that the actual formatted space of their drives is less then advertised for their machines. And I have not yet installed FCP on my MacBook Pro. So no, I'm not running any Pro software yet, and I've been running Leopard on it since I bought it in November. My trash is emptied, I ran Cocktail and had it empty all of my system, user and internet caches etc etc. I managed to free up about 8 gigs so now I'm in the neighborhood of about 20 but I feel like I should have 40-50 free.

Nope, no partitions here. 100% Mac baby.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Open Terminal. At the command prompt type the following:
sudo du -d 1 -c -k -h

That will include a bunch of hidden stuff that the Finder doesn't see without a customization.

I recommend disconnecting any external drives as those are also counted. If you do not, then substract the /Volumes sum from the grand total that appears at the bottom. In my case 622GB - 478GB = 144GB used with only 4GB remaining. There is a rounding error in this case by .52GB. And yes, I really only have 4GB remaining on my internal drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.