• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

iPhone sinks as Android seizes market share

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
First, FOX new is garbage.
Second, a lot of people I know, as well as myself, are getting bored with the similar design of the iPhone. If I've owned 3 different generations of iPhones, and find the current gen boring, there are going to be plenty of other who aren't interested.
Third, how many total iPhone models are there(not including separate flash capacities) vs how many total phones running on Android? Android phones vary from absolute CRAP, to good phones. Apple phones are only good phones. Android fills a MUCH larger gap from contract plans, as well as phones for less than $20 with a prepaid plan. Who's really surprised here? You have to fill that void with something, and it's going to be a crap semi-smartphone running Android.

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

That's your opinion. They at least present the news in an unbiased fashion not like other news agencies which seem to lean one way only.... But I'm not going to discuss politics or which news organization is best.

Also, if you check closely the article comes from the Wall Street Journal.

And whether or not the Android is better doesn't matter. They're currently outselling the iPhone which I think is a good thing. Having competing products is always best for the consumer because it offers choices.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I read the link in its entirety and saw that it was basically a rehash of this WSJ article. I mentioned FOX because out of all the reporting organizations that are more competent in talking about this, the one article cited was from FOX NEWS...the organization that concealed the truth of a nationwide report warning of cancer linked to Monsanto and rBGH in milk. Talk about unbiased.
Is that statement "FOX news is garbage," an opinion? Sure it is. Is it false? To say yes would be your opinion. PBS has had some rough patches, but if unbiased, and credible is what you want, they are on top.

Doesn't matter though. That's why I didn't dwell on it in my last comment.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
This might shock a few coming from me, but I hope Apple gets a good spanking for what they have been doing recently with everything. Yes everything. And yes I said it.

And now a Biometrics folder in the latest Beta of IOS to support a fingerprint scanner. The NSA will love that one! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Get a phone that meets your wants and needs so far the iPhone 5 has done that for me and others some of my friends find Android and Windows phones work well for them but through competition we each get better products with each new release.
I only get bored and need a change with a piece of electronics if I have to work on it constantly.

Reaction score
As stated this statistic is a bit pointless. I would be more interested and think and statistic about iPhone# and S# more relevant.
This compares items that are not even meant to be in the same category.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.7GHz 21" iMac I5 8GB ram, 1Tb memory , iPad firs gen 64 gig , iPod touch 5 32 gig
Second, a lot of people I know, as well as myself, are getting bored with the similar design of the iPhone. If I've owned 3 different generations of iPhones, and find the current gen boring, there are going to be plenty of other who aren't interested.
Third, how many total iPhone models are there(not including separate flash capacities) vs how many total phones running on Android? Android phones vary from absolute CRAP, to good phones. Apple phones are only good phones. Android fills a MUCH larger gap from contract plans, as well as phones for less than $20 with a prepaid plan. Who's really surprised here? You have to fill that void with something, and it's going to be a crap semi-smartphone running Android.

I can attest with the "CRAP" of android phones- I went to an HTC EVO LTE last year( June) from a Samsung- I am on my 6th replacement. I have to wait till end of Feb to upgrade( or pay early term and lose my phone #- would have paid the 200. to get out but lose my #?, i'll wait) I was not a believer in Apple till this last Fall- I am now- Quality of product and I can go to my local apple store and get most things fixed there. Byby android and PC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i5 iMac with 8GB RAM 1TB HDD and 32GB iPad 3 WiFi
I had a Droid X2 about two years ago and worked good. My only complaint about it was the battery life was terrible as it seemed to sit more on the charger rather then in my pocket.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA

Boring? Possibly you are confusing a device made for communications with, say, a video game. My old Razr made calls just as well, just as fast and just as clear as my current boring 3gs does, and I only dumped the Motorola because it died. As a matter of fact, my old analog cell - whatever it was - did just as well for communications. If your existence is revolving around the excitement of a cell phone, then may I suggest that you are probably missing out on a whole lot of life itself.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm going to agree with iggibar on this one. As it is right now, the iPhone (more iOS than anything to be fair) is uninspired and where truly innovative ideas cease to blossom. Apple, as much as I love their hardware and non-iOS software (OS X is, in my opinion, the most elegant consumer OS), seems unable to make me excited about the idea of owning an iOS device. I'm an admitted Android fan but I'd much rather own a Windows Phone device than an iPhone at this point. And having seen what iOS will likely bring, I'm not sure the coat of paint is going to generate the much needed excitement.

True, a device should be more about utility than inspiration or excitement (however much lineups for devices would suggest otherwise) but the reality is that this isn't how the market works. Devices sell on mindshare, not technology. Look at the Moto X - it's mid range hardware sold as a high end device but it's generated more buzz than it probably should. Aside from all of that, I think it's important to see how excitement correlates with pleasure. I'm excited to use my Nexus 4 and it makes it a much more pleasurable experience. I told myself last night, while using my iPod Touch with iOS 7 (ah the joys of being a registered developer...), "oh god I hate you iOS." Being this frustrated with a once innovative platform makes the experience lacklustre in character. Both my Nexus 4 and an iPhone 5 can do the same thing (utility) but the N4 is so much more enjoyable to use that it's obvious to anyone who sees me with both devices. There's something to be said for that. And really, at the end of the day, if I can combine utility with excitement, why not?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
True, a device should be more about utility than inspiration or excitement (however much lineups for devices would suggest otherwise) but the reality is that this isn't how the market works. Devices sell on mindshare, not technology. Look at the Moto X - it's mid range hardware sold as a high end device but it's generated more buzz than it probably should. Aside from all of that, I think it's important to see how excitement correlates with pleasure.

According to any Apple hater, Apple already knows exactly how to do that as that's exactly what they accuse Apple of doing... selling lower-spec hardware for higher prices due to they hype they generate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Make a crack about a man's cell phone, you'd think you'd called his mother something nasty! Wow.

Anyhow, I'd go back to my RAZR v3c if I didn't detest lugging around both a PDA and phone all the time.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
According to any Apple hater, Apple already knows exactly how to do that as that's exactly what they accuse Apple of doing... selling lower-spec hardware for higher prices due to they hype they generate.
True, the iPhone is a perfect example of this. Android phones had significantly better and more varied specs when the iPhone 5 was released for a fraction of the price (the N4 is a perfect example of this). When the phones are similarly priced, the phones aren't spec comparable. That's not to say that the iPhone is a poor performer however.

Make a crack about a man's cell phone, you'd think you'd called his mother something nasty! Wow.
How dare anyone make fun of my Nexus 4! ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Boring? Possibly you are confusing a device made for communications with, say, a video game. My old Razr made calls just as well, just as fast and just as clear as my current boring 3gs does, and I only dumped the Motorola because it died. As a matter of fact, my old analog cell - whatever it was - did just as well for communications. If your existence is revolving around the excitement of a cell phone, then may I suggest that you are probably missing out on a whole lot of life itself.

Yes, that's it. I'm missing out on a whole lot of life itself because I claimed the iPhone is boring. How you manage to deduce such a thing as my existence revolving around a cellphone, boggles my mind.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5(Mine) and Wife's Imac intel,(new)
For those too young to remember the Beta VCRs which were so much better, than the VHS versions.
Sony would not sell the rights to others, well a few, to produce the Beta VCRs, they thought that the best would win our and as we know NOT. The sheer number of VHS players simply out sold, and out numbered and over whelemed the Beta versions so the Beta VCR was dropped. Funny the Beta Cam for commercial use live a long and happy life. Maybe the same will be for the Apple I phone, unless it is truly a must have for a lot of good reasons.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Ahh yes the Sanyo Beta VCR was a great unit. In early days of VCRs, beta had more tapes available for renting than VHS but Sony soon crippled that.

Of more concern as s shareholder is the reported 5% drop in the share price in US.

C

chas_m

I find it interesting when someone says the iPhone is "boring." When questioned, what they generally actually mean is that it is so reliable and functional that they take it for granted.

Heaven forfend a company provide us with THAT! :)

As for Apple's status, I'll just make a couple of points:

1. In fact, the North American marketshare for the iPhone is GROWING, not shrinking. Has been for quite some time actually. Typical example: New reports confirm US share for iOS growing, Android dropping | Electronista

2. Too many media outlets, pundits and people who ought to know better confuse "shipments" of smartphones with "sales" of smartphones. These are very different things: during the Apple-Samsung trial in California, the Galaxy maker was forced to submit documents that showed that, at MOST, Samsung actually sold to end-users about HALF what they claimed they shipped to the US:

How many smartphones did Samsung ship in Q2? | asymco

This is not to say that Android isn't dominant in many markets: it is. It's just to say that looking at Apple's profits versus Samsung's in the smartphone sector, Apple seems to be doing just fine -- and looking at real-world, end-user indicators of popularity versus "shipment" reports paints a WAAAAAY different picture.

3. To be as diplomatic as possible, claiming that Fox News is "unbiased" is just plain ridiculous. There is plenty of factual, independent evidence that disproves this, entirely separate of where I or anyone fall on the political spectrum. Snake oil knows no party, nationality or faith -- only where the suckers are (as someone once said).

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Think the 5S is a worthy upgrade from my old 3GS - which I think I've gotten my money's worth out of it after 4 years now. I'm def ready for something better than 3G speeds.

It would be nice if google would come out with news of the next version of the Nexus 4 prior to the 5S shipping. It might give me pause prior to buying another iPhone.
While I like my Nexus 7, am not ready to jump ship from iOS to Android on my phone.
Google announces a 4 that meets the specs of the new 7, that might push me over the edge.

But, as my power button is semi-sunken into the device and the fact that the volume rocker broke off a couple of weeks ago (don't ask, don't have a clue - one day it was there, the next, not there) below the outside edge of the phone requiring using a fingernail inside the slot to use it - think I'm due.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Think the 5S is a worthy upgrade from my old 3GS - which I think I've gotten my money's worth out of it after 4 years now. I'm def ready for something better than 3G speeds.

It would be nice if google would come out with news of the next version of the Nexus 4 prior to the 5S shipping. It might give me pause prior to buying another iPhone.
While I like my Nexus 7, am not ready to jump ship from iOS to Android on my phone.
Google announces a 4 that meets the specs of the new 7, that might push me over the edge.

But, as my power button is semi-sunken into the device and the fact that the volume rocker broke off a couple of weeks ago (don't ask, don't have a clue - one day it was there, the next, not there) below the outside edge of the phone requiring using a fingernail inside the slot to use it - think I'm due.
If you remotely liked your 3Gs then yes you will love the 5/5s I have had all but the first and 4s and can say that up until the 5 I liked them but absolutely love my 5 and if my contract was up its a no brainer for me the 5s especially for the improved camera functions.
I have a nice Nikon rig that no doubt will take better pictures than any phone but as they say if you don't have it with you its a good shot missed I always have the phone on me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.