iPhoto Unable to Export to External Drive

Reaction score
Hello all.

Good afternoon. I am trying to export my iPhoto pictures to an external hard drive. However when I perform this function, it is giving me this error message:

Unable to create volume/passport/...

The external hard drive has over 200+ GB of remaining disk space; and the number of pictures being exported is 170 with an average size of 4MB per picture.

Any suggestions of what is happening will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Babylon5

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
How is that drive formatted? If it is NTFS, OS X cannot write to it without the help of 3rd party drivers.

OP
babylon5
Reaction score
@ lifeisabeach: The drive's format is MS-DOS (FAT32). Also the export stopped after 12 files were successfully saved to the external hard drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@ lifeisabeach: The drive's format is MS-DOS (FAT32). Also the export stopped after 12 files were successfully saved to the external hard drive.

Hmmmm. Well the drive could be failing. It also could be any number of potential problems with the file system (FAT32). The first thing I'd do is verify the disk. You can do this wth Disk Utility or download Onyx and use that. For more extensive drive testing and volume repairing, Disk Warrior is one of the best.

If the drive checks out, consider reformatting the drive. Are you using FAT32 for compatibility with a Windows PC? If not, and it's only for a Mac, then by all means reformat it using HFS+.

OP
babylon5
Reaction score
Hmmmm. Well the drive could be failing. It also could be any number of potential problems with the file system (FAT32). The first thing I'd do is verify the disk. You can do this wth Disk Utility or download Onyx and use that. For more extensive drive testing and volume repairing, Disk Warrior is one of the best.

If the drive checks out, consider reformatting the drive. Are you using FAT32 for compatibility with a Windows PC? If not, and it's only for a Mac, then by all means reformat it using HFS+.

I tried using the iPhoto export function and save the photos to a folder in the Macintosh HD; and the same thing happened where the export process stopped after certain number of files are saved.

Now I am dumbfounded.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried using the iPhoto export function and save the photos to a folder in the Macintosh HD; and the same thing happened where the export process stopped after certain number of files are saved.

Now I am dumbfounded.

With the FAT32 drive, the discussion linked below mentions that there is a limit to how many files can reside in the root directory. That may be your problem. Also, especially as for the Mac HD, is it possible some of the photos have the same name? See this discussion for more info:
Apple - Support - Discussions - Unable to create volume - error message ...

OP
babylon5
Reaction score
@lifeisabeach - Found the issue; and it has something to do with the actual file not existing even though the thumbnail indicates that the file does exist. This is the reason why this message was appearing. Thank you so much for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@lifeisabeach - Found the issue; and it has something to do with the actual file not existing even though the thumbnail indicates that the file does exist. This is the reason why this message was appearing. Thank you so much for your help.

Thanks for the update. That info most certainly will come in handy here one day, I'm sure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.