Any programs similar to rEFit?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13-inch Mid 2007 | 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo | 3GB Ram | 250GB Hard Drive | 2nd Hard Drive 80GB
I was wondering if there were any other programs like rEFit that do what rEFit does. I need it because i want to install windows 7 on my mac but my combo drive is broken. Im currently using VMWare but it just doesent deliver the speed that i need. Any programs out there? Thanks in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Why don't you just use rEFIt? To answer your question, there is nothing that I know of that is similar to rEFIt for use on a Mac.

In order to install Win 7 using Boot Camp or manually with Disk Utility, you need an on board optical drive that works.

Anyway, what you might try is the same procedure that's used to install Win 7 on a MacBook Air without an optical drive. It can be installed from a USB thumb drive. (large one) Here's the LINK.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13-inch Mid 2007 | 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo | 3GB Ram | 250GB Hard Drive | 2nd Hard Drive 80GB
Why don't you just use rEFIt? To answer your question, there is nothing that I know of that is similar to rEFIt for use on a Mac.

In order to install Win 7 using Boot Camp or manually with Disk Utility, you need an on board optical drive that works.

Anyway, what you might try is the same procedure that's used to install Win 7 on a MacBook Air without an optical drive. It can be installed from a USB thumb drive. (large one) Here's the LINK.
I have tried multiple times to install win 7 using rEFit but i get an error everytime like "cannot load os" or something like that. I know i have a good usb drive but it wont work using rEFit. The link you gave me i already followed that guide no luck because of rEFit.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you have access to another Mac? If you do, you can try firewire to firewire Target disk mode. Use the optical drive on the good Mac to install Win 7 on the Mac without a working drive. Not sure it will work because Win 7 (actually any version of Win) is so fussy about where it's being installed to.

Other than that, you'll have to replace the bad optical drive. And I don't understand why rEFIt is not working for you unless there's a problem with your copy of Win 7.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you have access to another Mac? If you do, you can try firewire to firewire Target disk mode. Use the optical drive on the good Mac to install Win 7 on the Mac without a working drive. Not sure it will work because Win 7 (actually any version of Win) is so fussy about where it's being installed to.

Other than that, you'll have to replace the bad optical drive. And I don't understand why rEFIt is not working for you unless there's a problem with your copy of Win 7.

Thanks man, i might try and do that. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Some have had luck with Gparted. It's basically rEFIt without the pretty GUI. It's kind of flakey sometimes though. Once you get Win7 installed, you should be able to just hold the Option key down and choose which OS to boot to. Check out OSx86 for pointers.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Some have had luck with Gparted. It's basically rEFIt without the pretty GUI. It's kind of flakey sometimes though. Once you get Win7 installed, you should be able to just hold the Option key down and choose which OS to boot to. Check out OSx86 for pointers.

Your awesome man, im going to try that right now. ill add to your rep.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Some have had luck with Gparted. It's basically rEFIt without the pretty GUI.

GParted is a partition manager, not a boot manager. rEFIt is a boot manager. As a matter of fact, GParted is very similar to "Partition Magic" but the difference is that GParted is free.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
GParted is a partition manager, not a boot manager. rEFIt is a boot manager. As a matter of fact, GParted is very similar to "Partition Magic" but the difference is that GParted is free.

Hey could i install bootcamp on another mac then copy it over to an external hd then copy to my bootcamp partition?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You might be able to do it with WinClone. Not sure it will work but you've nothing to lose by trying except time.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You might be able to do it with WinClone. Not sure it will work but you've nothing to lose by trying except time.

Ill look into this, ill get back at you if it a success or fail. Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.