Upgraded to snow leopard and now Imac is locking up?

Reaction score
Just upgraded to snow leopard and now it's locking up. Here's my info iMac
Model Identifier: iMac6,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 1.5 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM61.0093.B07
SMC Version (system): 1.10f2
Serial Number (system): W86373DSVGN
Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-0016CB9E2AE0
Can anyone help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Did you do a clean install from Tiger, or just an upgrade?
I am guessing that you performed the upgrade, and that you have corruption there somewhere.

First up, I would boot from the install disc, and run permissions repair and disk repair, and if that doesn't fix it, a clean install.

OP
J
Reaction score
The only thing I care about saving is my Itunes libraries and my Iphoto pix. I know I need a external hard drive, but how do I go about transferring those alone and doing a clean install? Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
iTunes:
iTunes: Back up your iTunes library by copying to an external hard drive

With iPhoto, what you have is an iPhoto library in your pictures folder, which you will want to move to the external HD. Then you will want to drag it back to the pictures folder on the new install.

Even though this should work, people do have dramas along the way.
What I do is keep a copy of all my pictures in my pictures folder, and then drag them all to iPhoto.

What I would do in a 10.4 to 10.6 upgrade and wanted to be certain that I had a back up plan:

Create 2 new folders, ie. "pictures to put back" containing copies of all your pictures from the pictures folder and "iPhoto pictures to put back" containing copies of all your iPhoto pictures and drag both of those to the external as well as the iTunes and iPhoto libraries.

After the install, replace those libraries, and if things went pear shaped, just drag the contents of both of those folders that you created.

There are several methods out there, but I have seen too many horror stories that make the extra effort seem worth it to me seeing that it is not really that much effort at all.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The other question, it's locking up when?

You can't boot into OS X at all or some time after you've logged in?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The other question, it's locking up when?

You can't boot into OS X at all or some time after you've logged in?

I probably should have asked "what do you mean by locking up?"

Nice work bobtomay :)

OP
J
Reaction score
since safari is where I spend most of my time, that is where I notice the lockup. Everything freezes up and I can't do anything, the mouse even disappears. I have to reset it by the power button on the back. Also I have a lot of pixel anomalies associated with the upgrade. Icons get blurry, and I get streaks across the screen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.