How to clear HD before recycling on a dead imac G4

Reaction score
My old desktop imac G4 bit the dust a few weeks back. Want to take it to be recycled. But I want to clear the HD to remove all info, docs etc, before I do this. How is this done? The other, main, problem is that the computer HD is totally fried. When I turn it on, I only get the spinning wheel or get a blank blue screen. I cannot get into the system to do anything. Is there a risk of someone else getting the info on my HD if I give it as is? Or is there a way to clear the HD without being able to start a session? All of my docs, software, etc, were backed up on external HD, so I do not need to recover anything. Just want to know if it is ok to hand over as is, or what is best to do?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Cheers!

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I'd say you have a couple of options - pull the HDD out before sending the iMac off - which is what I do with all of my computers - then you can either destroy it physically or erase it - if the HDD is still functional.

Otherwise about the only thing I can think of is get a strong neodymium magnet and attempt to degauss the HDD. Maybe this one K&J Magnetics - Products Just don't hurt yourself with it. :)

OP
R
Reaction score
thanks for the reply. if I can yank the HDD out then I will do that. I know how to take the back off... but is the HDD hard to locate and remover?

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I can't imagine that it's hard to locate - whether or not it's hard to remove I don't know - I've never tried but wouldn't think so either. Since you're "recycling" the iMac - you don't have to worry about removing it gently. :)

OP
R
Reaction score
located the HDD and removed it. thought my computer was a G4, but it is the first G5 model. Does not matter now.
thanks a lot for your help!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
located the HDD and removed it. thought my computer was a G4, but it is the first G5 model. Does not matter now.
thanks a lot for your help!!!

Wow, there's a BIG difference between looks and hardware regarding the G4 and G5. At least you were able to remove the HD. :)

OP
R
Reaction score
did it with the help of the internet. looked up info on various sites. never took time to thing what a HDD was or looked like. they seem to all look similar.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
did it with the help of the internet. looked up info on various sites. never took time to thing what a HDD was or looked like. they seem to all look similar.

I'm talking about the computers themselves.

iMac G4:
how-to-take-apart-an-imac-g3-2.jpg

iMac G5:
apple_imac_g5.jpg

Pretty big difference IMO ;D

OP
R
Reaction score
yes, indeed...you were. I was working our my OWN memory when I made my post. As I could not log on to the get to 'about this mac' to confirm model. Got my models confused. Did not verify first. Thanks

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad you got it sorted. I still think it would have been fun to have a good excuse to buy one of those magnets. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.