Mac Pro 1.1 logicboard change to 3.1

Reaction score
Okay so I just joined as i thought I might get some help here.

To keep it brief, I had a 1.1 and stumbled across some spare parts on the local trading site so i thought "what the heck". So I got a logicboard with CPU's, ram riser cards with a couple of dimms, fans, gfx and some of the covers. So basically everything except, HDD's, front panel board and the case itself.

So I have just tried to swap it, so basically pulled apart my machine, put in the new logicboard, new ram riser cards, put in the cpu heatsinks, fans, gfx and have doublechecked all the wires are connected. I even also connected the WiFi antenna as the new logicboard have a wifi card.
But I obviously messed up as when I try to boot it I only heard like a brief click and I cannot determine where it comes from but its definitely at the front of the case. That and a short red flash from a LED somewhere near the WiFi card (or at least close vicinity).

I have tried troubleshooting using this: http://tim.id.au/laptops/apple/macpro/macpro_early2008.pdf

But when found anything. When pressing the DIAG_LED only the second LED (STBY) lights yellow, which as far as i understand is what its supposed to do.

I think I got all the necessary details, otherwise let me know.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well do you mean a 35lb Mac Pro, as your link is to a laptop?

And please no foul language on this site as women and kids also use it.

OP
B
Reaction score
No one have any ideas or input whatsoever?

Again, I might have missed vital information so let me know if I did.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...stumbled across some spare parts on the local trading site so i thought "what the heck". So I got a logicboard with CPU's, ram riser cards with a couple of dimms, fans, gfx and some of the covers.

Anyone have any suggestions?

No one have any ideas or input whatsoever?

From what's been written...it would seem to me there's been no verification that the "spare parts" (logicboard, CPU's, ram riser cards, couple of dimms, fans, gfx) are or were operational.

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
From what's been written...it would seem to me there's been no verification that the "spare parts" (logicboard, CPU's, ram riser cards, couple of dimms, fans, gfx) are or were operational.

- Nick

Correct. I had no way of verifiyng 100% that they worked, however I want to make sure al options have been exhausted before writing it off as faulty.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Correct. I had no way of verifiyng 100% that they worked, however I want to make sure al options have been exhausted before writing it off as faulty.

It's really pretty straight forward:

- If the parts are compatible (Mac Pro 1,1 to Mac Pro 3,1)...then it's just plug & play.:)
- If the parts are not compatible (Mac Pro 1,1 to Mac Pro 3,1)...then it won't work.::(
- If all the parts are compatible...but one or more of the Mac Pro 3,1 parts are bad/faulty...then it won't work.:(

* Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips.

I have been advised that the power harness/wiring loom is different from the 1.1 to the 3.1 so I need to replace that as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.