MacBook Issue - Backlight Randomly Turns Off

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Hey guys, I'm having a very irritating issue with my MacBook. (Model A1181)

For some strange reason, the backlight in my MacBook seems to turn off randomly. I know it's the backlight because if I take a flashlight to the screen, I can still see all of my icons and desktop. If I keep my screen set to the absolute lowest brightness setting, it seems to last for quite a while (it's been an hour and it hasn't turned off yet) but on higher brightness settings it lasts anywhere from 10 minutes to 5 seconds (depending on how bright you make the display) before it turns off again.

I thought maybe a loose connection is at fault, but I've tried moving/banging/shaking the MacBook and nothing happens, so I doubt that's the case. I have also reset the SMC and PRAM, no change.

Now I think it may be the inverter that is giving me the trouble, but I've come across another thread that shows other people replaced the inverter, screen, etc and this exact same problem persisted, making me wary that it may be the logic board that's going.

That thread can be seen here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2524176?start=0&tstart=0

Any ideas? I'm not in the market for a brand new laptop, nor am I going to put a new logic board in this thing. I might just have to squint and use it on minimum brightness.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yeah, you're probably spot on regarding a logic board fault. I ran thru a whole series of threads on the Apple Discussion Forums a while back trying to help someone else out with the same problem as yours. One of the guys who was real tech savvy said he found a bad component on his logic board that was causing the backlight to flicker or go on and off. I don't remember if it was a resistor or some other part. He allegedly repaired it by replacing the component. Maybe if you take your machine apart and do some poking around you can find out what's causing it. If I remember correctly, someone else said he repaired his by soldering a bad connection on the logic board.

OP
MacDude121
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, you're probably spot on regarding a logic board fault. I ran thru a whole series of threads on the Apple Discussion Forums a while back trying to help someone else out with the same problem as yours. One of the guys who was real tech savvy said he found a bad component on his logic board that was causing the backlight to flicker or go on and off. I don't remember if it was a resistor or some other part. He allegedly repaired it by replacing the component. Maybe if you take your machine apart and do some poking around you can find out what's causing it. If I remember correctly, someone else said he repaired his by soldering a bad connection on the logic board.

That's the answer I was hoping not to get, but I do believe you're right.

I just did a restart and I had to literally mash the screen brightness buttons (full-off to minimum) for about two minutes before the screen would stay on. This is one of the weirdest problems I've experienced in a long while.

If I hook it up to an external monitor in clamshell mode it should work correctly, right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
It should because the logic board won't control the brightness of an external screen. That's actually what I was going to suggest you do as it's cheaper than fixing the MacBook, and you may have one sitting around.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree with member Stretch. Unless you want to spend the time trying to trouble shoot the logic board, an external monitor would be your best bet. You can use your MacBook in either clamshell mode or with the lid open.

OP
MacDude121
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks guys, much appreciated.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hey guys, I'm having a very irritating issue with my MacBook. (Model A1181)

I remember when you got this MacBook!:) A big big upgrade over those iMac G3's you were messing with.;)

Sorry to hear about the issue.

- Nick

OP
MacDude121
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I remember when you got this MacBook!:) A big big upgrade over those iMac G3's you were messing with.;)

Sorry to hear about the issue.

- Nick

Thanks Nick, It's definitely served me well for over a year now, but I think it's days as a portable are numbered (it seems to be deteriorating, getting harder and harder to keep the backlight on)

And no worries, I still mess with plenty of G3's and G4's in my spare time. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.