Re. Rosetta: Given one can use the open-source WINE to run Windows apps on a Mac...

Reaction score
...isn't there any kind of similar open-source app that allows virtualisation of old PowerPC apps on a Mac too?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Take a look at this article from ATPM (About this particular MacIntosh). It goes into how to run classic apps on an Intel Mac. I hope that's what you're looking for.... LINK

C

chas_m

What chscag said, but no, WINE cannot be used to run Classic apps on a Mac. Don't know what any of this has to do with Rosetta as referenced in your subject line.

Reaction score
Sheepshaver, featured in the article, is probably your best option. First make sure there is no DOS version of the program you want to run : those can easily be ran under DOSBox or if you're lucky, Boxer. Installing Sheepshaver is not for the faint of heart.

OP
I
Reaction score
What chscag said, but no, WINE cannot be used to run Classic apps on a Mac. Don't know what any of this has to do with Rosetta as referenced in your subject line.
Oh, I know WINE is just for virtualising Windows processes within OS X (or Linux), I wasn't asking if it could be used to virtualise PowerPC processes on a Mac (or PC).

I was just wondering if there was an open-source equivalent of Rosetta, that worked in a similar fashion to WINE (i.e. allowing one to run a PowerPC App in virtualisation without needing to install a full copy of OS X 10.6 or earlier in a virtual machine); and if not, why not?

If there was, then it would seem like the obvious solution to the woes of people who want to upgrade to Lion, but also want to retain PowerPC Apps...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Up to now, there has been no reason for anyone to spend the amount of time it would take to create a PPC virtualization app for Intel Macs since they have all had the ability built in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Mac OS X server can be virtualised, but only intel versions like Leopard and Snow Leopard server under VirtualBox

You seem to be asking for virtualisation of a PowerPC version of OSX with Windows 7 as the host OS. That's not virtualisation, that would require emulation, its a hard job and there isn't enough demand out there to justify the task of running a POwerPC based OS on an Intel Machine running Windows

OP
I
Reaction score
Up to now, there has been no reason for anyone to spend the amount of time it would take to create a PPC virtualization app for Intel Macs since they have all had the ability built in.
Hmm... Good point. Still, maybe there will be one soon now that it's not built-in to the latest version of OS X any more!

You seem to be asking for virtualisation of a PowerPC version of OSX with Windows 7 as the host OS.
Oh, no, no, I was only referring to running PowerPC Apps within OS X sans Rosetta...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I also am very interested in this since every dev is saying no more Rosetta on Lion.

I am hoping that someone will eventually take it on and give us something for running PPC apps under Lion. For now I am just going to have to Dual Boot 10.6 and 10.7 which is not a big thing.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Hmm... Good point. Still, maybe there will be one soon now that it's not built-in to the latest version of OS X any more!
Perhaps but I would suggest that either those apps have been rebuilt for the Intel architecture (whether as universal or Intel only apps), are out of date and/or are not supported anymore. Given the relative dearth of PPC apps that are still widely used, I'm not sure how beneficial such a project would be.

Out of curiosity, what PPC apps are people still using on a regular basis?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
As I have told you in the past Van, Adobe and I and many others can not afford to replace the very expensive Adobe apps with new versions. You are poor also! :D

Sure there is The Gimp, but it and I do not get along! Not at all! :D

10.6 will do for now Dual Boot for me. If it were other more lower priced apps, I would try and get the new Intel versions.

You know me and I am all for progress. All for the Intel Switch as it really improved things for Apple. Just poor. :D

I bet someone will program something down the line. Look at Sheep Shaver to run old OS9 and before apps on OSX for example!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
As I have told you in the past Van, Adobe and I and many others can not afford to replace the very expensive Adobe apps with new versions.
Ah! I forgot about that one. My morning coffee hasn't kicked in yet ;).

You are poor also! :D
The joys of student life, haha.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.