Quick iTunes question.........

Reaction score
Newbie to these forums so first of all "Hello too all!!!"

So my question is this:

I am very anal about my music organization on my computer. I know that iTunes keeps a copy in a separate folder, that is if you select the box and allow it too. So my music takes up twice as much space on my computer being the files are saved in two places and now im running out of disk space.... My question is if I delete the iTunes music folder will it delete all the saved playlists and all the music library data?? or can I just go on and delete the iTunes music folder within the iTunes folder but save all the other data within the iTunes folder. I want to save the playlist and library data for when I get a new computer it will copy all that data to the new comp. Does this make sense??

I know this may have been discussed already and I know some people hate repetitive questions but I honestly just didn't know what to search... Sorry if its already been posted but can someone please help me.

Thanks and have a good day everyone!!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Moved to more appropriate forum.

I am very anal about my music organization on my computer. I know that iTunes keeps a copy in a separate folder, that is if you select the box and allow it too. So my music takes up twice as much space on my computer being the files are saved in two places and now im running out of disk space.... My question is if I delete the iTunes music folder will it delete all the saved playlists and all the music library data??
Why not just delete those songs that aren't in your iTunes folder? If the songs have been copied over, delete the originals (the ones not in your iTunes folder). In other words, why keep the originals if iTunes is copying everything over to it's own folder and managing the tracks?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Newbie to these forums so first of all "Hello too all!!!"

So my question is this:

I am very anal about my music organization on my computer. I know that iTunes keeps a copy in a separate folder, that is if you select the box and allow it too. So my music takes up twice as much space on my computer being the files are saved in two places and now im running out of disk space.... My question is if I delete the iTunes music folder will it delete all the saved playlists and all the music library data?? or can I just go on and delete the iTunes music folder within the iTunes folder but save all the other data within the iTunes folder. I want to save the playlist and library data for when I get a new computer it will copy all that data to the new comp. Does this make sense??

I know this may have been discussed already and I know some people hate repetitive questions but I honestly just didn't know what to search... Sorry if its already been posted but can someone please help me.

Thanks and have a good day everyone!!

Quick iTunes question hey?
Glad it wasn't a long one!

Sorry, I couldn't resist :D

OP
K
Reaction score
Moved to more appropriate forum.

Why not just delete those songs that aren't in your iTunes folder? If the songs have been copied over, delete the originals (the ones not in your iTunes folder). In other words, why keep the originals if iTunes is copying everything over to it's own folder and managing the tracks?

First of all sorry about the wrong forum thanks for moving it....

And I like the way its is organized in the Music folder thats why I say Im anal about it... In the iTunes music folder everything is labeled wrong and would take too long to edit all of that when I already have it done in My Music folder.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
First of all sorry about the wrong forum thanks for moving it....

And I like the way its is organized in the Music folder thats why I say Im anal about it... In the iTunes music folder everything is labeled wrong and would take too long to edit all of that when I already have it done in My Music folder.
My question then is why let iTunes manage your music? You can always disable this in iTunes > Preferences > Advanced.

OP
K
Reaction score
My question then is why let iTunes manage your music? You can always disable this in iTunes > Preferences > Advanced.

OK and thats were my question comes in...

If I disable that (and delete what iTunes has currently saved to get my disk space back) will my playlist and library data still be saved?? So that later on down the road when i get a new comp and move my music files all my playlists and library data will transfer so all my playlists and my library will be the exact same as my old comp.

Reaction score
Make a backup of all iTunes related files (some of them are in Preferences, etc.) and back them up using Time Machine. Once you get a new comp, simply move all files to the place they were on the old comp and it should run fine. Most of the data is stored on the song files anyway.

OP
K
Reaction score
Make a backup of all iTunes related files (some of them are in Preferences, etc.) and back them up using Time Machine. Once you get a new comp, simply move all files to the place they were on the old comp and it should run fine. Most of the data is stored on the song files anyway.

So you think for now I can delete all the music iTunes has made a copy of in my music folder and on down the road just use time machine to do the swap?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.