safari, facebook, and gmail...the epic saga

Reaction score
ok, I'm a new mac user. I love everything about my mac. correction: LOVED. I can't login to facebook or gmail. Facebook will go to the login screen, and as soon as I put in my username and password.... nothing, after a while it will come to a screen w/ this error message: "Safari can’t open the page “https://login.facebook.com/login.php?login_attempt=1” because the server where this page is located isn’t responding." I have searched the forums and have yet to come to a solution. I've tried turning off the firewall to no avail, I've tried Firefox...same song and dance. I haven't done anything w/ the proxy settings because I don't really understand what I'm doing/changing in there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
the first thing...

I've been trying to recreate the problem and haven't been able to. So I all I can do is say what I would try.

The first thing would be to simply delete the cache and cookies and history and all that. If you're still getting the message, get rid of your current Safari and Firefox, making sure to delete the current preferences as well, and reinstall them.

Obviously you're able to log in to these forums. Have you come across ANY other similar problems?

OP
MarksIncredible
Reaction score
uninstall safari

Thanks for the reply. I can't figure out how to uninstall Safari. I've tried deleting cache and everything and it didn't work. I've tried "Resetting" safari and that didn't work either. I downloaded Firefox AFTER the problem started, but I just tried uninstalling and re-installing still doesn't work. I've also downloaded Opera (which is a great browser btw) and it doesn't work either. Yea, I'm having problems w/ the Gmail website as well, I can't even get to the login screen. I used my Droid to get the confirmation email from this forum lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Since you are seeing this problem in all of your browsers, the problem quite obviously is not the browser, nor the cache/history/cookies. My most immediate guess would be something related to the handling of "https" specifically. It could be some internet plug-in, your router, or your ISP.

You say you can use your Droid with gmail? Are you using your home network or your cellular network?

OP
MarksIncredible
Reaction score
I don't know how that's possible, I'm using my phone as a modem to connect to the internet. So it's through the same network as my phone is and my phone can access both sites w/ no problem. I got my macbook pro about a month ago and it's been working great using my phone as modem, now all of a sudden it's stopped. mind boggling.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I don't know how that's possible, I'm using my phone as a modem to connect to the internet. So it's through the same network as my phone is and my phone can access both sites w/ no problem. I got my macbook pro about a month ago and it's been working great using my phone as modem, now all of a sudden it's stopped. mind boggling.

Take your MacBook to some place with free wi-fi or to a friend's house. If you have no issues there, then the problem has something to do with either your cellphone (the device itself or the tethering software in use) or your cellular provider.

Reaction score
Facebook is having issues today and Google wasn't responding for me either a bit earlier. Something is going on...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.