Controling iTunes from your desktop...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white Macbook, Ipod nano 1st&3rd gen
is there any thing like tune bar were u can control your itunes songs from your desk top e.g. change song with out opening the itunes window?
sorry this may be very simple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
You have a widget for your dashboard. It's called iTunes. open your dashboard, and click the "plus" sign at the bottom left corner. Browse through the "add widget" bar (there should be two pages) and find a widget called iTunes. when you select it, an iTunes control panel will appear, and you can drag it around wherever you like. iTunes has to be open, of course, to use it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You need ByteController. It puts this in your menu bar:

Byte.jpg

It also gives you the option to use keyboard shortcuts. I have mine set to skip tracks and play/pause with Ctrl+Alt+arrow keys. Very convenient not to have to open up iTunes just to skip a song or stop the music.

Reaction score
You could also just press the green "+" button at the top left of the iTunes screen to make a smaller control space for the music playing. You might be interested in CoverSutra as well.

Reaction score
ive tried 2 so far.. Synergy is by far the best i think for the looks and usability.

it has a menu bar for prev track/ play-pause /next track
it also has an overlay on the bottom corner to display the current album art and track info. it fades away and fades back in when the track changes.
you get to set hot keys for a lot of controls including what i like the most, controlling the itunes volume control and not just the computers vol. you can also view the overlay and hide it with a hot key and also show and hide itunes.

downside: you must pay for a full version but you can download a 7-day limitless trial

------

you control: tunes is the controller im using now. great thing about this is that its completely free. you still get the same type of functions as synergy however you dont get the hot keys. you do however can customize the overlay to display any information youd like and in whatever combination and placement.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro C2D 2,16ghz
Hello!

I'm trying CoverSutra as well and it's very good so far. You shoud have a try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Black MacBook | 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo | 4GB RAM | 160GB HDD
Why not just use the play/pause, forward, and back buttons on your mac's keyboard? :\

Reaction score
You need ByteController. It puts this in your menu bar:

Byte.jpg

It also gives you the option to use keyboard shortcuts. I have mine set to skip tracks and play/pause with Ctrl+Alt+arrow keys. Very convenient not to have to open up iTunes just to skip a song or stop the music.

I need something like this. Thanks for the link... i'm tired of opening iTunes and slowing down other programs any time i want to switch songs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook White 2.16GHz 2Gb OS X 10.5, 16Gb iPhone 3G Black
similar to CoverSutra is "You Control Tunes". It puts a 4-button control bar on your menubar (play/pause, next + previous track and one more to open more options) .... but its best feature is that its free!! similar to Coversutra again is that it also displays the album artwork for a song when it starts playing, so you're never surprised as to whats about to come out of your speakers.lol

http://www.yousoftware.com/tunes/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Why not just use the play/pause, forward, and back buttons on your mac's keyboard? :\

lol, thats what i was thinking. I used those all the time till i got my Apple Remote :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook White 2.16GHz 2Gb OS X 10.5, 16Gb iPhone 3G Black
lol, thats what i was thinking. I used those all the time till i got my Apple Remote :p

it's only the newer model of macbooks (released february i think) that have those buttons on the keyboard..... and the majority of people on this site, like myself, bought their macbook before that....so no cool itunes buttons unfortunately :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it's only the newer model of macbooks (released february i think) that have those buttons on the keyboard..... and the majority of people on this site, like myself, bought their macbook before that....so no cool itunes buttons unfortunately :(

oh :\ well now i see where software like that becomes useful! ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac | iPod Shuffle | iPhone |
I was thinking just minimize your iTunes and so it right there
to flick songs.

Reaction score
On the new keyboard they moved the mute, volume up and volume down buttons, which is fine, but with the added track forward, track back taking up f7 and f6, how do I turn those off? I use f7 in Quark to turn on and off guides, but I can't do that now. Any ideas?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.