IMAC does not shut down

Reaction score
Hi everybody. First of all, I hope that this is the correct place to post. If it isn't, I sincerely apologise. This is my first post, and I am a recent convert to MAC from Windows.

My problem is a pretty simple one with I suspect a multitude of possible answers.

I cannot shutdown my Mac. Basically, everything closes, and I have to look at a grey screen with a circular (black NOT rainbow) revolving circle.

Now. When my Mac installs updates that need a reboot, there is never a problem. I suspect because the Mac uses a different shutdown procedure when installing an update.

So I am convinced that something I have running, will not let me shut down properly.

Genius eh? My question is, how do I find that hideous programme?

Many Thanks in anticipation

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

How about helping us to help you by including the year, model, of your Mac and which version of OS X it's running? Then maybe we can try to figure out why the machine won't properly shut down.

In the meantime, try resetting the System Management Controller. Take a look at this Apple KB article. LINK

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi there thanks for your reply.
I have tried resetting SMC previously, but that has not helped

Mac OS X 10.7.3

IMac Processor 3.4 GHz Intel Core 17

Memory 8 GB 1333 MHz RAM

Many Thanks again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Have a look in Activity Monitor in Utilities when you try to shut down and see if anything is running there.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The shutdown command should close all running applications but may not be able to terminate some ongoing processes. First try manually shutting down all your open applications to see if that helps. If that doesn't work, then there's likely something going on in the background preventing your iMac from properly shutting down.

Also, if you have any external hard drives connected, try dismounting them first.

OP
J
Reaction score
Well, I tried unmounting the one external hard drive I have, and on the next 2 shutdowns, it went perfectly. However today (twice), I had the same problem. But I appreciate your input. If anyone has any other ideas, I would be grateful.

Thanks again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" 2.5Ghz OS X LION 10.7.3
Well, I tried unmounting the one external hard drive I have, and on the next 2 shutdowns, it went perfectly. However today (twice), I had the same problem. But I appreciate your input. If anyone has any other ideas, I would be grateful.

Thanks again

I had exactly this problem and it was eventually traced (through Applecare) to the presence on Norton AV on my iMac. Files from that application present in the LaunchAgents & LaunchDaemons folders in the Mac HD Library were the root cause of the problem.
Once I removed them from those folders (copying them to the desktop as an interim so they could be put back if necessary) the problem was resolved.
If you don't have NAV it could be something else from an external application in those two folders causing a similar conflict at Shutdown. (I have since uninstalled NAV completely).
This may be of some help. Good Luck

OP
J
Reaction score
By jove pjhbristol. I do believe you've got it. I have uninstalled Kapersky anti virus, and the problem seems to have been solved. I am very grateful to you and everyone else who contributed. It's really appreciated

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Glad you got that sorted out. Unfortunately you are not the first user to have problems with anti virus software affecting Mac performance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
By jove pjhbristol. I do believe you've got it. I have uninstalled Kapersky anti virus, and the problem seems to have been solved. I am very grateful to you and everyone else who contributed. It's really appreciated

Hey Jeremy - really pleased for you if you've cracked it - I know how frustrating the problem is.
I'm a relatively new Mac user and thought I was doing the right thing installing antivirus software - especially as it said on the packaging that it was specifically for MAC. I've since learned that its pretty much irrelevant anyway - the consensus appears to be that something like Rapport for protecting financial transactions should suffice.
Anyway, if I have then I'm glad I helped you out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Wow fancy any Mac users being associated with Norton's. They made great products back in the OS 7, 8 and 9 days. Wish you had mentioned the fact earlier and we would have got it in seconds.

There are no Mac OS X viruses, hence no Mac OS X Virus Definitions which you are paying not to download. If from the Windows environment and must have AV, download ClamXAV which is freeware. On your Windows partitions use Microsoft Security Essentials, also freeware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow fancy any Mac users being associated with Norton's. They made great products back in the OS 7, 8 and 9 days. Wish you had mentioned the fact earlier and we would have got it in seconds.

There are no Mac OS X viruses, hence no Mac OS X Virus Definitions which you are paying not to download. If from the Windows environment and must have AV, download ClamXAV which is freeware. On your Windows partitions use Microsoft Security Essentials, also freeware.

"Wow fancy any Mac users being associated with Norton's".
That is just the kind of patronising and unhelpful remark you sometimes get on forums.... Oh Well, so much for the MAC community
Try to allow for the fact that some people might be new to the Mac environment, are used to having to protect their IT equipment and see products available from bona fide established software providers claiming to be packaged specifically for MAC .... or perhaps you haven't got sufficient imagination to do that ?

Reaction score
Uninstalled Kaspersky, rebooted immediately

I uninstalled Kaspersky and was able to reboot without any problem.
I then filed a bug report at Kaspersky. I like their products, but don't want
to go through an install/uninstall/install cycle.

Anyone know if they have a bug fix for this soon?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.