Menu Bar Disappears and a few other strange things happening.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 13" 2.4 Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB
Hey guys, new poster here, signed up simply because I can't find the answer to this anywhere. If it has been answered already I apologize. I'm pretty new to Mac, I've had an iPhone for almost two years and a MacBook for almost 1. I am really into customization and tweaking the look and feel of computers but I think I've messed something up a bit. This past few days I've installed alot of applications for tweaking my MacBook and I've noticed a few minor issues.

First off the most annoying problem I'm having.... My menu bar seems to have an auto-hide feature suddenly. I've searched this issue and all I can find is people that are trying to find an application. As far as I know I haven't installed anything that should make this happen. When I hover over where the menu bar should be it comes back but it goes away when I am not hovering. The only thing I've installed that should really effect the menu bar is Nocturne to make it black. I can't find anything in Nocturne that should make it auto-hide, hopefully I'm just missing it.

Second.... I can see a copy of my trash bin... behind the dock and the trash bin itself. This probably came from Dock Library which I installed around the same time as Nocturne. This isn't a huge issue, just a little obnoxious. I'm attaching a screenshot of the trash bin problem.

Here is a list of all the things I've downloaded recently:
  • Dock Library
  • Gimp
  • DragThing
  • Nocturne
  • Growl
  • GeekTool 3
  • Jing
  • BetterTouchTool

I started noticing the quirks after I installed GeekTool 3 Nocturne and Dock Library.

Screen shot 2011-05-09 at 1.27.42 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro Intel i5 2.53GHz, 4GB, 500GB, nVidia GT330m. iPhone 4S 16GB
To fix the doc dissapearing...

Apple logo in top left > Dock > Turn hiding off

Should be fixed.

OP
CaldwellYSR
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's not the doc it's the menu bar at the top. Where the apple logo you were talking about is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Some of these utilities do strange things. Suggest using the uninstallers, then install one at a time and make sure all is running okay in order to find the culprit. Then I guess you have to decide if the inconvenience is worth putting up with.

OP
CaldwellYSR
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was afraid that would be the answer. Also, I changed the size of my doc to figure out what was with the extra trash icon... it's on the desktop.... it's my trash, I can delete stuff there just like the trash in my doc, and I can move it around on the desktop... but I can't delete it...

OP
CaldwellYSR
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I found the problem with Trash. One of the preferences from DragThing is to put trash on the desktop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Here is a list of all the things I've downloaded recently:
  • Dock Library
  • Gimp
  • DragThing
  • Nocturne
  • Growl
  • GeekTool 3
  • Jing
  • BetterTouchTool

So of course you're not surprised that a glitch or two has popped up...

I don't think I have one third party "OS Enhancer" on my Mac. I learned my lesson on an earlier model. I'm sticking with Apple's way. It just works.

OP
CaldwellYSR
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So of course you're not surprised that a glitch or two has popped up...

I don't think I have one third party "OS Enhancer" on my Mac. I learned my lesson on an earlier model. I'm sticking with Apple's way. It just works.

No I never acted surprised I just wondered if anyone else knew which one caused the issue :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 13 2.5GHz 121GB SSD
Use a process of elimination - uninstall them one at a time, and see which one was responsible (though I would say Gimp, Growl and BTT are not the cause)

OP
CaldwellYSR
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I uninstalled all of them except Gimp Growl and Jing and then reinstalled them all and the problem hasn't come up again. Maybe it was just a wonky setting I accidently hit on one of them.

Reaction score
Can't get to the Apple Menu -- it's too far to the left. Also can't see the Dock.

To fix the doc dissapearing...

Apple logo in top left > Dock > Turn hiding off

Should be fixed.

Can't get to the Apple Menu -- it's too far to the left. Also can't see the Dock.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.