Icons in the Dock changing???

Reaction score
When i pull the shortcut for my "Applications" folder down into the Dock in Leopard, the icon being used for Applications in the dock changes to be the icon used for Address Book - not the standard "Folder" icon

This is even happening if I change the Applications icon in finder to be some other custom icon.

Any ideas of how I can use the normal folder icon or another icon if my own choosing?
or am i just being ultra dumb and missing something?

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Right now you can't, that is just the way it is. I'm sure in the near future someone will come up with a handy hack to do what you want. Until then you just have to live with it. Any folder put into the dock will be turned into a stack by design.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 GHZ/2GB/320GB/Leopard
If you want the Dock icon of that special folder (or "stack" as it's called now) to look like the icon you want, here's what I did. (1) Do a Get Info on the special icon folder in Finder. (2) Select the icon in the Get Info window and Copy it. (3) Open that special folder and create a New Folder inside. (4) Do a Get Info on that new folder, click on the icon, and Paste the special icon image so that it looks like the parent folder. (5) Change the new folder's name so the it is first alpha-numerically; I just used "00" (that's two zeros) as the name. (6) Go back up one level to see the parent folder in a Finder window, and drag it to the Dock.

Since the first item in the stack is now the folder with the desired icon, it will appear in the Dock. If fact, the other items will appear to be stacked behind it, which actually looks appropriate

OP
Reaction score
If you want the Dock icon of that special folder (or "stack" as it's called now) to look like the icon you want, here's what I did. (1) Do a Get Info on the special icon folder in Finder. (2) Select the icon in the Get Info window and Copy it. (3) Open that special folder and create a New Folder inside. (4) Do a Get Info on that new folder, click on the icon, and Paste the special icon image so that it looks like the parent folder. (5) Change the new folder's name so the it is first alpha-numerically; I just used "00" (that's two zeros) as the name. (6) Go back up one level to see the parent folder in a Finder window, and drag it to the Dock.

Since the first item in the stack is now the folder with the desired icon, it will appear in the Dock. If fact, the other items will appear to be stacked behind it, which actually looks appropriate

thanks for that!

great tip and looks pretty cool now!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.