iOS 10.3.x battery drain

Reaction score
Hi all,

My iphone 7 plus, since upgrading from 10.2.1 to 10.3.1 and now is 10.3.2. The battery life has been really really bad.

1 night idle in flight mode and low power mode consumed 15%. I reset factory then it was better but still dropped 9% in the same settings.

Another thing I notice is battery still drains when the phone is turned off, up to 20% a day. Is it hardware issue?

Any ideas what I should do now, please help.

Thanks in advance,
Tin

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If the battery is draining when your iPhone 7+ is turned off that's a definite sign of battery problems. Make a genius appointment at your local Apple store and take the phone in for diagnostics. They can tell you in less than 5 minutes if you need a new battery. And changing it out in store takes about an hour. If your iPhone is still under warranty, the battery change will be free. If the phone is out of warranty (no Apple Care Plus) then it will cost $79 to change the battery. We do not recommend a third party phone repair service to change the battery. Have Apple do it.

And Welcome to our forums.

OP
P
Reaction score
If the battery is draining when your iPhone 7+ is turned off that's a definite sign of battery problems. Make a genius appointment at your local Apple store and take the phone in for diagnostics. They can tell you in less than 5 minutes if you need a new battery. And changing it out in store takes about an hour. If your iPhone is still under warranty, the battery change will be free. If the phone is out of warranty (no Apple Care Plus) then it will cost $79 to change the battery. We do not recommend a third party phone repair service to change the battery. Have Apple do it.

And Welcome to our forums.

Thanks chscag. So sad, there's no Apple store in my place ** Chi Minh, VN. I bought my iP in US.
Apart from that issue, I don't see anything abnormal. I can watch Youtube up to 12 hours. I can charge normally and phone's temperature is also normal.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sorry about that. I should have noticed your location under your stats. Take to an authorized Apple repair service there in VN and have them change out the battery for you. If no authorized Apple service where you are, you'll have to depend on an iPhone service repair or live with it.

You can also try to change out the battery yourself. Order a new battery from the US and follow the instructions for changing the battery at www.ifixit.com.

OP
P
Reaction score
Sorry about that. I should have noticed your location under your stats. Take to an authorized Apple repair service there in VN and have them change out the battery for you. If no authorized Apple service where you are, you'll have to depend on an iPhone service repair or live with it.

You can also try to change out the battery yourself. Order a new battery from the US and follow the instructions for changing the battery at www.ifixit.com.

Just contacted authorized service, my iPhone is still under warranty so if it's battery issue, it's will be replaced. If it's hardware issue, I'll have a new phone. They are still investigating and will get back in a few days. Thanks for helping.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, let us know how things turn out. It does sound like a bad battery, let's hope it's nothing more than that.

OP
P
Reaction score
OK, let us know how things turn out. It does sound like a bad battery, let's hope it's nothing more than that.

Apple just informed me battery drained when phone is off can be due to iOS, not necessary hardware issue. They will confirm the exact issue in next few days, will keep you posted.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, thanks. I don't think that's the reason because I also have a 7+ running on 10.3.2 and my battery does not drain when the phone is off. I use my 7+ here at my home office and the battery will go almost three days without a charge. I do use WiFi calling which might be the reason for the good battery life but even my older 6+ and my wife's 6s+ gets very good battery life. I think that your battery might be defective. I also know that where you live the humidity and heat is very high all year long and that is not good for a battery.

OP
P
Reaction score
OK, thanks. I don't think that's the reason because I also have a 7+ running on 10.3.2 and my battery does not drain when the phone is off. I use my 7+ here at my home office and the battery will go almost three days without a charge. I do use WiFi calling which might be the reason for the good battery life but even my older 6+ and my wife's 6s+ gets very good battery life. I think that your battery might be defective. I also know that where you live the humidity and heat is very high all year long and that is not good for a battery.

Apple just got back today. It's hardware issue and they gave me a new phone, so not too bad for me :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple just got back today. It's hardware issue and they gave me a new phone, so not too bad for me :)

That's very good news. Apple has good customer service even far away from the US in Viet Nam. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.