Time machine failed - can I restore from old (external) drive?

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So, I upgraded my hard drive, and after going through the install, it appears time machine has not done what it promised. When I attempted to restore to the new drive (twice now), absolutely 0 applications were restored. Not even OS programs such as safari and time machine...

So now what? What is the best way to get everything from my old (now external) drive onto my new (now internal) drive? I read a bit about CCC, but I'm confused if it will be possible to clone from external to internal. (i.e. would I boot from the external drive and install CCC there? Or install CCC on my internal (which currently doesn't even have an OS)).

If I did migration assistant, would everything be exactly the same? Even applications?

I'd really appreciate some help.

Very bummed about time machine's failure...

Ps. I really don't want to have to put the old drive back in if possible

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I've gone the Migration Assistant route twice and both times I ended up with identical setups to the drive I was migrating from, applications, bookmarks etc. (I'm not sure, but I may have to have re-entered the license key on a few APPs, but not certain about this as it has been a while).

OP
B
Reaction score
Ok, I'll think about giving that a try. If I use migration assistant with an external drive, will it need to be an enclosure with a power supply?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Ok, I'll think about giving that a try. If I use migration assistant with an external drive, will it need to be an enclosure with a power supply?

If I understand your question correctly, the external drive will have to have some source of power even if it gets it from the FireWire or USB port.

OP
B
Reaction score
If I understand your question correctly, the external drive will have to have some source of power even if it gets it from the FireWire or USB port.

Ok, that's what I thought.

It is possible to install programs onto the external drive if I boot from it? I'm still considering using Carbon Copy Clone.

Bah, this whole process has not gone nearly as smoothly as I'd hoped :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Confusing, however the best way to go is a mains powered external case containing your external hard drive, connected by Firewire and then clone using Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper.

Time Machine is quite simple assuming it is contained on an external or second internal hard drive. Boot from the install disc, select language, go into Utilities in the Menu Bar and then choose 'Restore System from Backup'. When dialog box appears hit 'Continue' and select latest Time Machine backup.

It also helps if you provide computer and operating system details.

OP
B
Reaction score
Confusing, however the best way to go is a mains powered external case containing your external hard drive, connected by Firewire and then clone using Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper.

So, even though my old hard drive (containing all apps and data) is now removed from the computer, I can still use CCC to copy it onto the new hard drive (which I've installed)?

Time Machine is quite simple assuming it is contained on an external or second internal hard drive. Boot from the install disc, select language, go into Utilities in the Menu Bar and then choose 'Restore System from Backup'. When dialog box appears hit 'Continue' and select latest Time Machine backup.

This is exactly what I did, and it failed to re-install the applications even after multiple attempts.

It also helps if you provide computer and operating system details.

You're right, sorry about that.
15" Macbook Pro (gen 1 - 2007) with Snow Leopard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 13 2.5GHz 121GB SSD
You're correct - just hold down the option key during restart and boot from the external, then install CCC there and choose the internal disk as the destination.

OP
B
Reaction score
You're correct - just hold down the option key during restart and boot from the external, then install CCC there and choose the internal disk as the destination.

Alright, then I think that sounds like my best bet. I'm going to try that or possibly try to boot from the external and run time machine one more time (to another external) and see if I can get a working restore point.

I'll follow up with any success/failure. Thanks for the replies!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
When you hook the external drive up, does it appear on the desktop or in Disk Utility?

OP
B
Reaction score
CCC worked like a charm. Booted from the old drive in an enclosure, installed CCC, ran, and everything seems to be up and working great!

Thanks again for the suggestions :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.