New iPad (iPad 3) Cases and skins

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
As of typing I didn't see a thread for the New iPad (iPad 3) cases. If I messed up please merge.

Just got everything loaded and put on a Zagg iPad 2 case. The Tan leather that matches the smart cover. The iPad 2 smart cover still works.

I was able to put a built hard cover on top of that - although it was a little off - the iPad was still usable. It fit fine into a built iPad 2 sleeve. This was with the Zagg leather skin on it - so I think all but the tightest of cases should work with the new iPad.

The pictures below are an iPad 2 vs iPad 3 (New iPad is too much to type) - the Blue cover is the iPad 2. Both Zagg skins are for the iPad 2. Zagg is making a new skin that is still in process on their website.

Here is the major difference - on the smart cover side.
BqMva.jpg

But once the smart cover is on - it's not too bad
RA4C4h.jpg

Button side
X20D4h.jpg

Side by side
DDMKfh.jpg

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
How's the iPad3 treating you performance wise? Noticably faster than the 2?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, MacBook, IPad 2 , IPhone 4
That beige one that is shorter on the smart cover side is actually made specifically for use with a smart cover, your blue one is not. They make 2 versions.

EricE

As of typing I didn't see a thread for the New iPad (iPad 3) cases. If I messed up please merge.

Just got everything loaded and put on a Zagg iPad 2 case. The Tan leather that matches the smart cover. The iPad 2 smart cover still works.

I was able to put a built hard cover on top of that - although it was a little off - the iPad was still usable. It fit fine into a built iPad 2 sleeve. This was with the Zagg leather skin on it - so I think all but the tightest of cases should work with the new iPad.

The pictures below are an iPad 2 vs iPad 3 (New iPad is too much to type) - the Blue cover is the iPad 2. Both Zagg skins are for the iPad 2. Zagg is making a new skin that is still in process on their website.

Here is the major difference - on the smart cover side.
BqMva.jpg

But once the smart cover is on - it's not too bad
RA4C4h.jpg

Button side
X20D4h.jpg

Side by side
DDMKfh.jpg

OP
IvanLasston
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It isn't any faster but it seems to be much easier to read on it. I'm also trying to type this out using dictation seems work pretty well.

With the zagg I bought the tan one after the blue one. The blue one was when they first came out with leather skins. The blue one works fine with a smart cover. Either way, I think most iPad 2 cases will work.

The dictation function is pretty sweet.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
It isn't any faster but it seems to be much easier to read on it. I'm also trying to type this out using dictation seems work pretty well.

With the zagg I bought the tan one after the blue one. The blue one was when they first came out with leather skins. The blue one works fine with a smart cover. Either way, I think most iPad 2 cases will work.

The dictation function is pretty sweet.

Is the dictation faster on the iPad 3 than the IPhone? I use the dictation feature quite a bit - more than I do Siri in fact - and I like it - when it works and when it works quickly. Sometimes it really bogs down - while trying to interpret what I'm saying (I'm used to that in the real world) - and it just quits - or is very very slow. I hope they continue to work on that feature as it can be very very useful.

OP
IvanLasston
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I only have the iPhone 4 so I've never got to use dictation or Siri. Dictation seems pretty good - but I haven't used it extensively. I am only doing one or two sentences at a time.

The other thing I have found is - websites are useable in portrait mode. Quite readable. Also my remote session with vnc is useable without having to zoom. You still need an external keyboard as the on screen one takes too much real estate. My remote sessions is the major reason I bought the iPad and with preliminary testing - the screen is "all that and a bag of chips".

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Right now I just have the smart cover I want to get a back cover for the new iPad 3. I haven't decided on a specific brand yet. Going to go to Best Buy and Target to check out what they have.

Reaction score
My plan

Here's my plan to protect my new iPad...for the back, I'm doing a bestskinsever clear pretector adhesive. For the screen, I haven't decided if I will put a clear protector on or not, Ill decide when I get my bestskinsever. I put on a leather smart cover as well. And then I'm ordering a sleeve from this girl who makes them in Minnesota.

I'm not going to put it in a case because I don't want it to be bulky, and I want to be able to take pictures with it without holding up an entire case.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
What other cases are you guys using? As much as I like the smart cover it doesn't really protect the iPad all that well. Currently decided between two cases.

1. Dodocase
2. Hexa code folio

I like them both but the later is more functional and has a pen holder and extra storage space. Hard to decide love the colors and the playfulness of the moleskin book but then there is the professional executive look. >_<"

Reason I'm reluctant to get the dodocase is because I haven't seen any reviews for it and I want to see if the magnets wake up and put the iPad to sleep correctly.

OP
IvanLasston
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
From what I understand - all the folio cases need updating for the iPad 3 (New iPad) - as those are absolutely form fitting. Either way check out these guys as well
Portenzo - Handmade iPad cases
Treegloo Products - Customizable, Durable, Eco-friendly Cases | Made by Hand in the USA
PQ | Handmade Leather Cases for iPhone, iPad, Kindle, MacBook Air

I used to put a clear protector on back (Zagg) - but with all clear protectors I started to get peeling and dirt from the edges. I've had better luck with the thicker leather skins from Zagg. It does add thickness - but it feels like better protection and isn't as prone to peeling. When I got the iPad 2 - I just used a Zagg clear skin. The blue skin on the iPad 2 was put on 6 months after I got it because the clear skin was peeling from the edges.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
From what I understand - all the folio cases need updating for the iPad 3 (New iPad) - as those are absolutely form fitting. Either way check out these guys as well
Portenzo - Handmade iPad cases
Treegloo Products - Customizable, Durable, Eco-friendly Cases | Made by Hand in the USA
PQ | Handmade Leather Cases for iPhone, iPad, Kindle, MacBook Air

I used to put a clear protector on back (Zagg) - but with all clear protectors I started to get peeling and dirt from the edges. I've had better luck with the thicker leather skins from Zagg. It does add thickness - but it feels like better protection and isn't as prone to peeling. When I got the iPad 2 - I just used a Zagg clear skin. The blue skin on the iPad 2 was put on 6 months after I got it because the clear skin was peeling from the edges.

Thank you for the links to the iPad cases. Never had good experience with Zagg products especially their clear protective sticker things. Going to stay far far away from those kinds of products. They peel at the edges and collect dirt. Gross looking and it turns yellow and starts to crumble from the heat over time.

I like that most of the cases that you linked to are customizable.

OP
IvanLasston
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I like the Zagg as a screen protector as I like the tackiness - but not everyone likes that. With the total coverage - as I said - I had the same experience - so I stopped using the clear protector. I've gone over to using the leather skins - and they seem much more solid as far as staying on and not peeling. That is why you see 2 leather skins in the picture and not the invisible shield clear skin. (I still have some clear skins laying around for the iPad 2)

I am interested in those folio cases but never really pulled the trigger - as I like the iPad as is with just a skin on it. Not much protection though - that is why I carry it in a sleeve when it is in my backpack. If you do end up getting any of those folio cases - please review it - you may sway me to get one anyway.

Reaction score
What other cases are you guys using? As much as I like the smart cover it doesn't really protect the iPad all that well. Currently decided between two cases.

1. Dodocase
2. Hexa code folio

I like them both but the later is more functional and has a pen holder and extra storage space. Hard to decide love the colors and the playfulness of the moleskin book but then there is the professional executive look. >_<"

Reason I'm reluctant to get the dodocase is because I haven't seen any reviews for it and I want to see if the magnets wake up and put the iPad to sleep correctly.

From the reviews I have read, Portenzo makes better iPad cases than Dodo...just something to consider. If you're looking for a simple modern iPad sleeve, look into Byrd and belle.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I like the Zagg as a screen protector as I like the tackiness - but not everyone likes that. With the total coverage - as I said - I had the same experience - so I stopped using the clear protector. I've gone over to using the leather skins - and they seem much more solid as far as staying on and not peeling. That is why you see 2 leather skins in the picture and not the invisible shield clear skin. (I still have some clear skins laying around for the iPad 2)

I am interested in those folio cases but never really pulled the trigger - as I like the iPad as is with just a skin on it. Not much protection though - that is why I carry it in a sleeve when it is in my backpack. If you do end up getting any of those folio cases - please review it - you may sway me to get one anyway.

Ask and you shall receive. :p I plan on doing an unboxing and review.

From the reviews I have read, Portenzo makes better iPad cases than Dodo...just something to consider. If you're looking for a simple modern iPad sleeve, look into Byrd and belle.

Thank you for your input. I will take that into account.

Reaction score

Ivan,

How long have you carried your ipad in a sleeve in your backpack. The new iPad is my first, and I ride my bicycle a lot to class, so I was planning on doing the same thing...getting a sleeve then putting that into my backpack. Have you had any troubles?

Reaction score
Right now I just have the smart cover I want to get a back cover for the new iPad 3. I haven't decided on a specific brand yet. Going to go to Best Buy and Target to check out what they have.

I plan on doing the same thing. right now I have a naked iPad with the black smart cover. My bestskinsever is on it's way and then I plan on getting a sleeve.

OP
IvanLasston
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ivan,

How long have you carried your ipad in a sleeve in your backpack. The new iPad is my first, and I ride my bicycle a lot to class, so I was planning on doing the same thing...getting a sleeve then putting that into my backpack. Have you had any troubles?

I carried the iPad 2 just in a sling pack from Eddie Bauer. Not a lot of protection - and I noticed I wasn't all that gentle when putting down the sling.
This is the next generation - but you get the idea - no real padding
Sling Pack | Eddie Bauer

I got a Built sleeve and backing from REI-Outlet for something like half off ~$25 so I bought it just to try it out. I put the iPad in the sleeve most of the time.
Travel Pack for iPad 2 | BUILT

That Built hard back - fit over my leather Zagg - onto the New iPad - a little bit off for buttons - but I think the camera was OK. Anyway - I don't use the plastic back much - I used to put it on every now and then.

I flew a lot with that setup and haven't had any problems. The only issue I have is with the smart cover. My blue smart cover started tearing around the metal bar so it slides up and down now - making it worse. It may be because I used to keep the iPad in my backpack - next to my MBP. I am keeping the New iPad in the sleeve - hopefully it saves the smart cover.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I carried the iPad 2 just in a sling pack from Eddie Bauer. Not a lot of protection - and I noticed I wasn't all that gentle when putting down the sling.
This is the next generation - but you get the idea - no real padding
Sling Pack | Eddie Bauer

I got a Built sleeve and backing from REI-Outlet for something like half off ~$25 so I bought it just to try it out. I put the iPad in the sleeve most of the time.
Travel Pack for iPad 2 | BUILT

That Built hard back - fit over my leather Zagg - onto the New iPad - a little bit off for buttons - but I think the camera was OK. Anyway - I don't use the plastic back much - I used to put it on every now and then.

I flew a lot with that setup and haven't had any problems. The only issue I have is with the smart cover. My blue smart cover started tearing around the metal bar so it slides up and down now - making it worse. It may be because I used to keep the iPad in my backpack - next to my MBP. I am keeping the New iPad in the sleeve - hopefully it saves the smart cover.

I like the bag idea. Just don't want something that looks like a murse. >_> Aka Man purse. I have been looking at a few but not sure which one to get. I would prefer the bag to be leather. Vertical messenger bag that is made of leather basically. I have seen a few but they look ugly or are not made of leather.

Still getting the folio type case though. I still like then colors offered by dodocase. They seem to price their cases at a higher price point compared to their competitors >_>" Except they didn't nearly offer as much customization or personalization.

OP
IvanLasston
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have the previous generation Eddie Bauer as I said, but I also got this one from my company.
Patagonia Atom Sling Pack
As far as I can tell - these sling packs are the only things that don't look like Murses. If you are OK with the European carry-all look - and you are looking for leather then there are two that look really good - but are expensive.
The Muzetto I really like the look - but it is very Metro
Muzetto? Leather Bags - Laptop Bag - Man Bag - Personal Bag - SFBags - WaterField Designs

Any of the Saddlebacks - but man that is some money just for a bag
Leather Satchel
But if Indiana Jones carried a satchel - so can you.

Edit: I forgot - I looked at L.L. Bean as well - for leather bags.
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/30116?feat=847-GN1

I also - have not found what I am looking for. Again - if you find a leather bag please review that too. Yet again I have held off on getting anything due to price.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have the previous generation Eddie Bauer as I said, but I also got this one from my company.
Patagonia Atom Sling Pack
As far as I can tell - these sling packs are the only things that don't look like Murses. If you are OK with the European carry-all look - and you are looking for leather then there are two that look really good - but are expensive.
The Muzetto I really like the look - but it is very Metro
Muzetto? Leather Bags - Laptop Bag - Man Bag - Personal Bag - SFBags - WaterField Designs

Any of the Saddlebacks - but man that is some money just for a bag
Leather Satchel
But if Indiana Jones carried a satchel - so can you.

Edit: I forgot - I looked at L.L. Bean as well - for leather bags.
Healthy Back Bag, Leather: Shoulder Bags | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean

I also - have not found what I am looking for. Again - if you find a leather bag please review that too. Yet again I have held off on getting anything due to price.

Yeah saw the Muzetto one. Didn't like the color thing that they had going on. Ended up going with Saddleback medium Satchel in Chestnut brown. Cost almost as much as the iPad. >_<" I <3 Indiana Jones.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.