Mac Mini

Reaction score
1.66 2gb ram.

Anyhow, I'm running out of space. Physical space. Not megabytes. So I wanted to stack my tft 19" wide monitor on top of my mini. It would fit. But the apple store guy said the mini get very hot. I've not really noticed that.

Is that so or is it too heavy (too much pressure) any way to be putting on my mini?

ivnj

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dont have one yet <sob>
LOL you're really out of rooms eh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
's possible (though I think fairly unlikely) that it could cause problems. The Mini runs hot (like most Macs, but I digress), and having the whole top surface of the case obscured from cool ambient air isn't going to do it any favors. It may not hurt anything at all... In fact, I'd go so far as to say that it makes little to no difference. But it could, I suppose, if you want to grasp at straws.

It could also be too much pressure to put on it... I haven't looked at the Minis closely enough to know how sturdy the top case is, but I don't think there's much reinforcement there. Which means you're going to be putting a lot of pressure (potentially, depending on how the monitor's foot is shaped) on internal components that you don't want to be putting pressure on... Things like the optical drive and its mounting points, possibly the blower that cools the machine, etc.

In other words... I don't think it's hugely LIKELY to damage anything, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it, and I wouldn't consider it an ideal place to put it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
I think you should be fine. I got my mom a mini for her birthday and the mini is pretty sturdy. Good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
If you are even remotely handy, I would recommend building a little stand for the monitor that allows you to put the mini underneath and the monitor on the stand on top. Why risk damaging the Mini?

If you are not handy, you could do the same thing with two stacks of books and one or more large "coffee table" type books across the top. Put the Mini in the space between the two stacks, and place the monitor on top, on the "shelf" created by the "coffee table" books.

Of course, books can be a space consumer, but you get the idea at this point. Anything that you can stack together to create two sides, and something you can lay across them, will do the trick. For example, simple builder's bricks can be used as the sides. Lego blocks could be used for the sides as well (but not the shelf on top). The possibilities are endless.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
If you are even remotely handy, I would recommend building a little stand for the monitor that allows you to put the mini underneath and the monitor on the stand on top. Why risk damaging the Mini?

If you are not handy, you could do the same thing with two stacks of books and one or more large "coffee table" type books across the top. Put the Mini in the space between the two stacks, and place the monitor on top, on the "shelf" created by the "coffee table" books.

Of course, books can be a space consumer, but you get the idea at this point. Anything that you can stack together to create two sides, and something you can lay across them, will do the trick. For example, simple builder's bricks can be used as the sides. Lego blocks could be used for the sides as well (but not the shelf on top). The possibilities are endless.

Or you could just find a small monitor stand such as the one below.
http://www.officeworld.com/Worlds-Biggest-Selection/FEL91712/07Q3/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
2 standard masonry bricks will lift it sufficiently. I did that before a bought a bigger desk.
Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
This one is pretty cool tool (3x the price, but it's got a usb hub).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.