Macbook EFI Firmware update 1.0 Problem

Reaction score
my macbook was shuting down randomly so i downloaded the firmware. it had me shut down and now my macbook will not turn back on. when i try to turn it back on you can hear it trying to read from the cd/rom. can someone please help me? thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
did you read the instructions for the firmware update?

You have to hold the power button until the activity light on the front of your macbook starts blinking rapidly for the firmware to update

OP
E
Reaction score
yes. i did that. and now my macbook wont start. one of the main reasons i got a mac is because no viruses. but i've had this for 4 months and now it's broke? this is worse than a virus

Reaction score
you need to hold the power button until the "sleep" light flashes repeatedly for a few seconds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Black with 2gb of RAM
Did you leave a disc in the drive when you did the shutdown? That may be causing the problems if you did. Just a thought. I am sure it will be fine though. It will just be something small that has been overlooked. Don't panic. Take it into an Apple shop and have them take a look at it if you still can't get anywhere. It will be fine I am sure. Fingers crossed.

OP
E
Reaction score
no there is no disc. the cd/rom is making weird noises like it is looking for a CD. i tried to restore it but it wont even read the Mac OS disc

OP
E
Reaction score
i've been reading on the apple site and i think my macbook might be open firmware based. does anyone know how to change this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black "ULTIMATE" 1GB RAM 80GBHDD 2.0GHZ Processor
hold the power button until your macbook turns on

OP
E
Reaction score
i tried that also. when i turn it on. the screen flashes once then it just stays black. is there some sort of key i can hit to bring me to another screen. like what f8 does on windows?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
i've been reading on the apple site and i think my macbook might be open firmware based. does anyone know how to change this?

Intel Mac's don't have Open Firmware

i tried that also. when i turn it on. the screen flashes once then it just stays black. is there some sort of key i can hit to bring me to another screen. like what f8 does on windows?

Option will bring you to a list of bootable devices
Shift is like a safe mode

Reaction score
You might have accidentally interupted the firmware update. I downloaded the and did the EFI Firmware update and accidentally interupted it. I took my Macbook Pro to the local Apple store and what they did is made a copy of the Firmware update, had to be done on a Mac. Then they loaded the cd into my computer and it was able to boot it. So my advice is to go to an Apple store and them to help. Here is the link on Apple that I found. Look at the part where it says IMPORTANT.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303364

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
For anyone who hasn't yet performed this update:

When you are about to install the EFI update there is a recommendation to either write or print out the given instructions. This is sound advice.

OP
E
Reaction score
could someone possibly make me an image file of what i have to burn? i only have one mac and i cant read dmg files on windows. i really appreciate it

Reaction score
OP
E
Reaction score
they say once downloaded to a windows computer they are no good. if i give you the link. could you burn the dmg file into an image that i can burn on my pc?

Reaction score
Uploading iso to MegaUpload for you. Will send you the url address when It's done...about 1.5hrs I think.

Reaction score
oops, my bad...I went for the MacBookFirmwareUpdate.dmg....will stop the other upload and get the proper version up for you....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.