24" HD Display...cord not designed for easy use with Power Mac

Reaction score
I just ordered a Mac Pro setup with two 24" HD displays for editing. The displays were suggested as an option in the configuration menu for the new computer, and the menu even went so far as to list which video card configurations would power this setup.

Unfortunately, when the displays arrived, they had very short connections, fine for a laptop sitting on the desk with the monitor but not even able to reach a tower sitting on the floor below the desk. Getting USB extensions is not that hard (though I worry a little about signal degradation...though probably won't be noticeable) but the monitors also require me to get mini Displayport extensions, which aren't that easy to find.

Anyhow, partly I'm just venting and partly writing this in case anyone is considering buying these monitors...it seems that they are really only designed for use with laptops. This wasn't clear to me (even on re-searching) from the online Apple store.

Wish I could afford the 30" HD displays, which I understand have more tower-friendly cabling. ;D

- Frank

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I just ordered a Power Mac setup with two 24" HD displays for editing. The displays were suggested as an option in the configuration menu for the new computer, and the menu even went so far as to list which video card configurations would power this setup.

Unfortunately, when the displays arrived, they had very short connections, fine for a laptop sitting on the desk with the monitor but not even able to reach a tower sitting on the floor below the desk. Getting USB extensions is not that hard (though I worry a little about signal degradation...though probably won't be noticeable) but the monitors also require me to get mini Displayport extensions, which aren't that easy to find.

Anyhow, partly I'm just venting and partly writing this in case anyone is considering buying these monitors...it seems that they are really only designed for use with laptops. This wasn't clear to me (even on re-searching) from the online Apple store.

- Frank

Two questions:

1. Did you really purchase a Power Mac setup? Apple discontinued the last Power Mac computers in August, 2007.

2. What sort of 24" monitors are you having a problem with? Did you purchased these via the Apple website, and what models are they?

Thanks,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
I am assuming the 24" Cinema display. I have one of those and the cord with the mini display, usb, and mag safe power is extremely short. It is only like 2 feet long at the most. I can see how this is an issue when used on a desktop that sits on the floor. My never has to leave my desk so I have extra coiled up.

Well anyway, the display is gorgeous and I hope that you get it all worked out.

OP
wantok
Reaction score
Two questions:

1. Did you really purchase a Power Mac setup? Apple discontinued the last Power Mac computers in August, 2007.

2. What sort of 24" monitors are you having a problem with? Did you purchased these via the Apple website, and what models are they?

Thanks,

- Nick

Sorry for the typo, meant Mac Pro (8-core). My bad.

The 24" HD displays were the ones suggested in the configuration menu for the Mac Pro.

That said, the issue still stands. Not a deal breaker (I've ordered various extensions from various dealers), but it is still pretty lame. If the 30" is the only display with cords that can reasonably reach an off-desk tower, it would have been nice if this had been made clear upon ordering.

Cheers!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I saw the new 24" displays at my Apple Store but never looked at the cables. Thanks for the heads up for other people who will purchase the 24" for a Mac Pro. The short cables are fine if it's a laptop sitting right in front, but that is way too short for any Tower unless you put it right next to the display which is not always that convenient to do.

Let us know how the extension cables work out and where you purchased them.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry for the typo, meant Mac Pro (8-core). My bad.

If the 30" is the only display with cords that can reasonably reach an off-desk tower, it would have been nice if this had been made clear upon ordering.

Cheers!

Thanks for the correction. Yeah...BIG difference between an 8-core Mac Pro & a Power Mac.

As far as the monitor cords...I think everything at Apple is either going iMac or laptops...which of course both computers would not have a problem with a shorter monitor cord.

I think it all comes down to dollars & cents...Apple sells many many more iMacs & laptops than they do Mac Pros. So that shorter cord maybe saves Apple 5-10 cents (maybe even less) per monitor. Not a big savings...but maybe it adds up.

I also agree that it would have been nice if Apple mentioned something about needing an extension cord if using the display with a Mac Pro (which will be placed on the floor). I do know of some folks who put their Mac Pro or Power Mac G5 on their desktop...even though these computers are pretty massive.

I guess Apple figures if you can afford a Mac Pro, you can afford the monitor extension cord. Of course not having the extension cord when setting things up for the first time is much more of an inconvenience than it is cost.

Thanks for the info,

- Nick

p.s. I'm not sure if Apple still includes a USB extension cord for the keyboard when purchasing a Mac Pro...but they did with G5 Power Mac Desktops. So they're certainly aware of the cords on keyboards & monitors needing to be longer when you have a Mac Pro or Power Mac G5.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
T

p.s. I'm not sure if Apple still includes a USB extension cord for the keyboard when purchasing a Mac Pro...but they did with G5 Power Mac Desktops. So they're certainly aware of the cords on keyboards & monitors needing to be longer when you have a Mac Pro or Power Mac G5.

I just bought a new Apple Aluminum Keyboard with the Number Keypad. It came with a USB Extension cable in the box which was nice of them. The one on the keyboard is very short. Fine for an iMac though.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just bought a new Apple Aluminum Keyboard with the Number Keypad. It came with a USB Extension cable in the box which was nice of them. The one on the keyboard is very short. Fine for an iMac though.

Good deal! Glad to see they still include that extension cord.

Looking at things from Apple's perspective...and the number of laptops & iMacs they sell vs. Mac Pros...I could see how making the cords on keyboards & monitors shorter makes sense to them from a financial point of view.

Also, if you have a laptop or iMac...a 6 foot cord can create more clutter on your desktop...and including the extension cord with all new keyboards & monitors...I can see a lot of laptop & iMacs owners just tossing the extension cord into a box & forgetting about it.

But for those folks that need the extension cord...it's nice that they still include it.

- Nick

OP
wantok
Reaction score
I totally see how the short cords make sense from Apple's perspective. Just wish I'd known about it. :D

The USB extension is easy to find, the mini displayport one is a bit of a pain. I did some research, and apparently there were none on the market until a year or two ago. Now the best deal seems to be monoprice (where they are under $10). At the moment, they only have 6' and under available. Given that I need an extension at all, I've decided to put the tower behind my desk so am ordering a 10' extension from Datapro...which is something like $35 and seems like a rip off, at least compared to monoprice.

Again, sorry about the title typo. I've tried to change it but can't figure out how.

- Frank

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.