Should I be concerned?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
Well, you know the left side of the MB with all the plugs in it? Today I noticed that it feels alittle loose. Near the end there are 2 small screws, it feels loose right there. I could push the plastic in and see it move. Should I be concerned?? Do you guys think maybe the screws need to be tightened alittle?

Macky has never been dropped or bumped by anything before...
418192784_39df19285e.jpg

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sometimes the screws will back out a bit over time and just need a little tightening. I don't think it's a real big deal, but if you can find an eyeglass repair kit or a jeweler's screw driver set, I'd see if you can snug those screws up just a bit.

OP
Netty4mac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
Ok, I think I have one of those sets. Sounds like a good idea. Thanks! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 Imac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD
Sometimes the screws will back out a bit over time and just need a little tightening. I don't think it's a real big deal, but if you can find an eyeglass repair kit or a jeweler's screw driver set, I'd see if you can snug those screws up just a bit.

Netty don't do that, the screws are just decorative. Purely for looks, they don't actually hold anything.

That's why there's some give, it's normal with all macbooks and I hear the iBooks as well.

OP
Netty4mac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh I see..I guess it should be okay then.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Netty don't do that, the screws are just decorative. Purely for looks, they don't actually hold anything.

That's why there's some give, it's normal with all macbooks and I hear the iBooks as well.

OK, on the MacBook Pro, they actually hold the palmrest to the bottom chassis. I guess the MacBook is different?

EDIT: I answered my own question, no they aren't "purely decorative", they do indeed hold the palmrest to the chassis. See iFixIt...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
Yeah, mine does that too. I'd say nothing to worry about.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

decorative screws?

what will they think of next. tighten the screws, they are there for a reason.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
wow netty, i had the same problem but i am glad you asked because i didnt want to seem dumb and anal asking the question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
Netty, I think I remember someone else here with the same issue. He/she called apple and they advised them that the left side is meant to have a bit of flex.

OP
Netty4mac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Netty, I think I remember someone else here with the same issue. He/she called apple and they advised them that the left side is meant to have a bit of flex.

Oh ok. Thanks for all the info everyone!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
I have to add me two cents. Why in the world would Apple, known for their clean crisp designs, put DECORATIVE screws on the side of their macbook? That makes no sense at all. I am sorry Johhnyfive, but I don't buy it. According to disassembly instructions I found online, the screws are functional and do need to be removed when disassembling the macbook. I would tighten the screws if they seem loose, some flex is needed, but I know on mine there is no looseness.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have to add me two cents. Why in the world would Apple, known for their clean crisp designs, put DECORATIVE screws on the side of their macbook? That makes no sense at all. I am sorry Johhnyfive, but I don't buy it. According to disassembly instructions I found online, the screws are functional and do need to be removed when disassembling the macbook. I would tighten the screws if they seem loose, some flex is needed, but I know on mine there is no looseness.

Exactly - and you don't want to lose those screws either. They are very non-standard and would be difficult to replace if they worked themselves free over the course of normal use / carrying around.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
Did a little more research. It appears that the 4 screws on the left and right front of the macbook(2 on each side, 4 total) hold the grayish inside palmrest/keyboard cover to the lower case. the lower case is also slightly flexible, so that explains the give it has. the screws on the right/superdrive side actually go through the keyboard/palmrest cover into another internal component thing while the right side screws just go into the plastic cover. the disassembly guide states that the right side screws are significantly longer than the left side screws. if the screws are simply going into a plastic tab, that would explain why the screws can be continously turned without tightening totally. it also means that if you keep trying to tighten the screws you run the risk of stripping the plastic screw housing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
Hopefully not, I was at an Apple Store today in Toronto, I would have checked the MacBooks out there if I would have though of it. However I was too excited about picking up an Airport Extreme.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.