No sound notifications from Adium

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
Using Leopard and Mac Pro. Before their last update, it would play on the built in speakers. After it, there's absolutely no sound whatsoever. No idea how to fix this. Does anybody else have an idea?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Does anything else play on the built-in speakers? What about line-out? What output device is selected in the System Preferences?

OP
EGGO
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
Does anything else play on the built-in speakers? What about line-out? What output device is selected in the System Preferences?

Everything else plays fine. iTunes, other music programs. Nothing else plays on the built-in speakers other than mac startup...well actually that doesn't play anymore. I don't remember changing that.

In System Preferences, alerts and sound effects are through the internal speakers. Normal output is through the Line Out. It was that way when Adium played from the internal speaker, as well.

Picture 1.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Well if the Startup Chime isn't even playing now, then you almost certainly have a hardware problem. The internal speaker may be blown, or a wire connecting it has come loose.

OP
EGGO
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well if the Startup Chime isn't even playing now, then you almost certainly have a hardware problem. The internal speaker may be blown, or a wire connecting it has come loose.

Guess I'm calling Apple Support tomorrow. Figures it'd happen once I got the e-mail that says my Applecare phone thingy is allllllmost up. I should still have a few days left.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.