iwork 08. should I buy it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
anyone use it? do you like or not?

Im told its compatible with ms office files and windows. is this true?

I can send files to windows users and visa versa?

pages, numbers, keynote are the apps right?

this is not just appleworks with a new name is it? appleworks was pretty limiting.

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have the trial actually, when the 30 days are up, what happens? does it stop working?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini, 20" Cinema, wireless keyboard and mouse.
Of course it stops working!
Iwork is very useful, absolutely worth it.

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so can I exchange, create, edit files with windows users? I believe it can be done, but Im just checking. I will mess with the app more before the 30 days runs out. thanks :)

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
so can I exchange, create, edit files with windows users?

YES*

*but they may not be 100% compatible, maybe just 99% compatible

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Files created in IWorks can be opened, read, and modified in Microsoft Office. However, files created in Microsoft Office, when opened in IWorks, may not have all the file's features, formatting, etc. appear as they would if opened in Microsoft Office.

You should try what happens exactly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Base Model MacBook (White from early 2008)
Do It!

I definitely recommend this product. It makes professional looking spreadsheets, presentations, and documents. Some people prefer Office because they're more used to it. If you can get used to the small changes, go for it. (If you're used to the Mac interface, you should be fine.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I know I'm the only person on the forum who still likes the old appleworks. But I say have a look into that. It's only a pages replacement. But I use it in tandem with pages cause it can read .cwk files.

.cwk standing for claris works before it came appleworks. And appleworks just kept the old extension.

But on it's own iwork is worth the effort. Keynote blows powerpoint out of the water. And numbers for most things in about on par with excel.

Reaction score
Yes, you can exchange files with windows user. iWorks is nice... the only thing I didn't like about it was that you have to export in "doc" format... this leaves two files on your HD - doc and iWorks. I use word processing a lot so it was a pain for me... but maybe not for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro w/ Snow Leopard, iPhone 3GS
so can I exchange, create, edit files with windows users? I believe it can be done, but Im just checking. I will mess with the app more before the 30 days runs out. thanks :)
Yes, I've tried and it works perfectly.
Download the word file and it will appear just as a text file. Then go to pages and click open...

I've tried it with word 2003 ans word 97 documents and both work,

Must buy, I can actually create nice spreadsheets now!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21" 8GB, MBP 15" 2.5 Penryn, 4 GB/180 GB
I use iWork 08 regularly. Very good software. Be sure to check out the tutorials on Apple's site - well worth the time.

And for those things that don't fit/work with something on Windows side, I use NeoOffice (free).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Yes, you can exchange files with windows user. iWorks is nice... the only thing I didn't like about it was that you have to export in "doc" format... this leaves two files on your HD - doc and iWorks. I use word processing a lot so it was a pain for me... but maybe not for you.
How often do you send to a office user?

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
not too often at all really these days. I just wanted to make sure it can be done if need be.

Reaction score
anyone use it? do you like or not?

Im told its compatible with ms office files and windows. is this true?

I can send files to windows users and visa versa?

pages, numbers, keynote are the apps right?

this is not just appleworks with a new name is it? appleworks was pretty limiting.

I have iWork and love it. I used office 2008 for a year and it has its good points too. Too many email issues for me in MS stuff though.

Yes, you can send Pages document that you create to any PC. Remember though that they can't read Pages documents unless they have pages. But all you have to do is simply click on "File" then "Export" then choose "Word" in the drop down box. There you have it. You've just saved your Pages document in Word format to send to anyone using Winblows Office on PC.

I like iWork. It's less bloated. Has a better, easier feel. 2008 Office for Mac just kept giving me problems. Such as the envelope that indicates new mail stopped working for no reason. Once that happens it won't come back. Little stuff like that is always giving me a headache in Office.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's noob friendly. Very easy to use. :)

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Office, $400.. . Iwork... $79.

this alone will give you a hint what I may go with.... if I don't just keep neo office and use that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro w/ Snow Leopard, iPhone 3GS
you can get office home and student for $150
but i still got iwork.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.