Retrolink USB controller+Nestopia

Reaction score
Hi. I'm new to using USB controllers and I need to know... I bought an NES styled controller that has a USB port to play emulated games, or roms. It is a "Retrolink" USB controller. It supposedly works with Windows and Mac, which I have. I want to play Super Mario Bros. on my computer so I got Nestopia and a Super Mario Bros. rom. I plugged in my controller and it didn't work when I pressed any buttons. So I looked online and I heard about, found, and downloaded an app called "USB Overdrive". I had no idea how it worked, but I noticed that when I pressed different buttons on the controller, parts would highlight up after I messed around with USB Overdrive a little, like USB Overdrive interacted with the controller, but the controller did not with Nestopia. I need help, can someone lend me a hand here and tell me what I am supposed to do? It would be much obliged!

Thanks,
~Bittergamer1886

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Can't really speak to that particular controller, but I use a Microsoft USB Sidewinder and it works great with Nestopia. You do have to have it plugged in *before* you start the emulator and you need to have "Emulator Enhancer" installed ahead of time. Also, you need to associate the buttons with their proper functions, which is done in the Nestopia Preferences under the Joystick tab.

OP
B
Reaction score
Response:cwa107

I downloaded Emulator Enhancer, but when I opened it, it told me what should I open it with? That's a good question. What DO I open it with?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think I see what's wrong - you missed the Installation Instructions that accompany it... If you give it a double-click, you'll see it says:

Installation (for experienced users)

The Emulator Enhancer folder (containing "Emulator Enhancer.bundle") should be placed intact in /Library/Application Support or ~/Library/Application Support.

Installation (for beginners)

In recent months, I have been deluged by users who find the above instruction too complicated. For the benefit of these people, here are step by step instructions:

- Open your Hard Disk.
- Open the Library folder.
- Open the Application Support folder.
- Copy the Emulator Enhancer folder (included with this document) into that folder.
- If you double click on the Emulator Enhancer folder the only file within should be "Emulator Enhancer.bundle".

OP
B
Reaction score
Response: cwa107

1. That's the exact same thing. I did what you said and it's the exact same thing.

2. I read the instructions before you told me about them. I opened the library folder, and I didn't see an "Application Support Folder".

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1. That's the exact same thing. I did what you said and it's the exact same thing.

2. I read the instructions before you told me about them. I opened the library folder, and I didn't see an "Application Support Folder".

Try opening the Home folder (if you open Finder, you'll see an icon with a house and your username next to it). Then, open Library and you should see Application Support within it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.