drive tray won't open

Reaction score
I'm desperate. I have a G4 and I can't get my drive tray open. There is no disk inside. I've tried using the paper clip to no avail. I've tried re-booting holding the mouse button down. I've tried using the suggested firmware option, but it tells me it can't open the drive. Only hours ago I installed an airport extreme card. I can't see how this would affect my drive tray, but it's the only thing I've done different with my machine today. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Wendy

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, wendy.

Only one thing to try, really. Take out the Airport card and see if it's back to normal. Or maybe check inside the case: maybe something became loose when you installed the card.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
I'm desperate. I have a G4 and I can't get my drive tray open. There is no disk inside. I've tried using the paper clip to no avail. I've tried re-booting holding the mouse button down. I've tried using the suggested firmware option, but it tells me it can't open the drive. Only hours ago I installed an airport extreme card. I can't see how this would affect my drive tray, but it's the only thing I've done different with my machine today. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Wendy

if the paperclip doesnt work, it's probably physically jammed.

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. In fact, I removed the Airport Extreme card and now my tray will open. Obviously the two conflict. Another problem for Apple to solve...I hope!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.