Question about syncing...

Reaction score
I hope someone can clarify for me:

I turned off I-Cloud on my Ipad and IMac, and now I've found all my calendar items in Outlook and ICal on the mac have GONE!

Thankfully, they are still on my Ipad.

I'm nervous of syncing as I don't fully understand the process. My question is this:

If I sync my Ipad tonight with my Mac will it put all my calendar items back ont the Mac or will syncing erase all the calendar items on the Ipad?

I have been trying to find an article or support that fully explains the logic behind sycning, without success. If someone can answer the above question for me and also let me know of any reading material that would help, I would be most grateful!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
If you don't want to use iCloud to sync, then you'll need to turn on the option to Sync iCal Calendars in iTunes by selecting your iPad on the left, then selecting Info from the top bar. That should get your items on your iPad onto iCal on the Mac. What'd be simpler is to just re-enable iCloud syncing and leave that be. It is free. Any particular reason why you don't want to use iCloud?

OP
A
Reaction score
Reason being, I want to be able to control what goes between devices. For example, I don't want my photos synced to my Iphone, but I do want them on the Ipad. Similarly, I only want certain music files on my Ipad, but I want my whole library on Iphone.
Tks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reason being, I want to be able to control what goes between devices. For example, I don't want my photos synced to my Iphone, but I do want them on the Ipad. Similarly, I only want certain music files on my Ipad, but I want my whole library on Iphone.
Tks

Ok. But none of that has anything to do with iCloud. If you are using the optional PhotoStream, that can and should be turned off (it's awful). You set up your photo and music sync preferences per device in iTunes.

OP
A
Reaction score
Oh ok....I'll have a look at that - didn't know you could specify different settings.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh ok....I'll have a look at that - didn't know you could specify different settings.

Yup. You can also turn off, on the device itself, sync settings for any of the items like Mail, Contacts, etc. My wife and I share an iPad, and really anyone who comes over ends up using it, so we have Mail, Calendar, and Contacts turned off on it.

I'd also like to mention that you can turn on syncing over wi-fi for each device running iOS 5 or newer. The setting is there in iTunes when the device is plugged in. Check that, and you'll never have to connect to the computer again. Except for photos. For some incredibly short-sighted reason, you can't sync photos wirelessly, except using Photo Stream, and you can't even manage Photo Stream's content. It's all or nothing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.