Worry about hard drive.

Reaction score
I have a 2010 IMac, I just got it last year around Christmas. Last night I walked away from my computer without pressing sleep and came back the following morning. When I clicked Finder it locked up and logged me out. When ever I tried to log in it would log me out. I restarted the computer and it let me log in. The computer has been fine after that. I do have a time machine but have not backed up yet. Considering the info on the hard-drive is easily worth a few thousand, if it was to fail, would I be able to get it back? No matter the cost. So in summery... One, is this a sign of it failing? Two, Can I get it back if it failed, no matter the cost?

Hope you can help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
Backup your hard drive...simple, cheap.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Time Machine is so easy to use and so reliable, that you should connect up an Ext HD NOW and back up.

If the info on your Int HD is worth so much, consider an additional back up method such as a clone. I use SuperDuper!, others use Carbon Copy Clone (CCC). Whatever you do, use Time Machine and probably a clone as well.

As regards data recovery — if you had to employ a company to do this, it would be very, very expensive. Moreover, they might fail to get all your data.

There are downloadable apps which you could try first such as Diskwarrior; and there are others, of course. They don't always repair and retrieve.

So, it's up to you. Back up or be prepared to lose it.

I guess you know already that you can configure your Mac to go to sleep automatically according to your wishes — Preferences > Energy Saver then select your choices.

Ian

OP
W
Reaction score
I have a Time Machine, but it is backing up my older Macbook.:\ I am not sure I can use it for both, I have 2 terrabites left on it...

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
So, you need a separate Time Machine (EHD) +/- a clone, for your iMac. View them as two separate systems, each with its own back up. You can't "share" TM between the two. If the data is worth "a few thousand" (of any currency), this is an investment you have to consider. These days, EHDs are incredibly cheap, especially in respect of what you are trying to safeguard.

Ian

OP
W
Reaction score
So, you need a separate Time Machine (EHD) +/- a clone, for your iMac. View them as two separate systems, each with its own back up. You can't "share" TM between the two. If the data is worth "a few thousand" (of any currency), this is an investment you have to consider. These days, EHDs are incredibly cheap, especially in respect of what you are trying to safeguard.

Ian

I am running my entire company off this machine. Is it possible to back up onto the time machine by hand so I can have both back up, I really don't want to have to spend another $500 to just back up this. Even when the other one is still almost empty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 27" iMac, 3.3ghz, M395 gpu, 2tb Fusion, 8gb
You can buy any kind of external drive, it doesn't have to be Apple. Just plug it in and set Time Machine preferences to use that drive and TM will do the rest. The first backup will take a while, but after that it only backs up changes.

I've recovered a few things from TM. Once, I lost my entire hard drive, TM saved the day. A few other times I was unhappy with a new version of something and just pulled the older version. And when I was doing my taxes a few weeks ago I somehow managed to cancel all changes and was left with just my personal info. Luckily, Turbo Tax was saving versions as it went along and I could pull the last good version. Only lost my last entry.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am running my entire company off this machine. Is it possible to back up onto the time machine by hand so I can have both back up, I really don't want to have to spend another $500 to just back up this. Even when the other one is still almost empty.

You just need a $75 dollar external hard drive...you don't need to spend another $500 on an Apple Time Machine.

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
Is there a program that will let me back up automatically, or do I have to do it by hand?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 27" iMac, 3.3ghz, M395 gpu, 2tb Fusion, 8gb
See my answer above. TM is totally automatic.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Wmanidi

Putting together all that I and the others have said: buy any quality EHD (75 USD as stated above should easily cover it). Make sure the EHD has at least the storage capacity of your Int HD, preferably a little more.

A Firewire 800 connection allows significantly faster transfers than USB, but USB will do the job if that's all you can get or afford.

Next; connect the EHD to your Mac. At this point, if the EHD is not factory formatted for the Mac, you will need to go into Disk Utility (found in Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility). You should see the mounted EHD listed on the left. It will show as a Name (say LaCie 1GB) with a sub heading. Click on the Sub Heading. Now look to your right and near the top it will show First Aid-Erase-RAID-Restore.

Click on Erase. Under Format, choose "Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and under Name, choose one for yourself, say, TM Back Up. Then Click on Erase and your EHD will be formatted, ready for use.

Now, go into Preferences > Time Machine > Select Disk. Choose the TM Back Up (or whatever you named it) and start the back up. (NB make sure the slider on the left is in the ON position).

As stated, the first back up will be a lengthy process because you are backing everything from scratch (even longer if you use USB rather than Firewire 800).

When it finishes, it will automatically (repeat automatically) back up Hourly for 24 hours; Daily for a month; thereafter, Weekly. This takes hardly any time at all.

What this means is that at any point in the future, you will have hourly back up for the previous 24 hours, then daily back ups for a month and so on.

I think that covers everything.

Cheers, Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.