New iPhone unimpressed

Reaction score
I am wondering am I alone in my thinking that the new iPhone is not a huge leap forward over the 3GS? I just wasn't that amazed by the overall size, look, and feel of the new device. I love the sharpness of the new disply and all, but I am not lusting after it like I did the 3GS. In the sales number are true, I am certainly in the minority in my thinking.

Am I getting cynical or to finicky because I returned the iPad after a week of use!?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Iphone 3GS 16GB Ipad 16GB
What don't you like about the iPhone 4 and iPad?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Without stating what you do not like about them it sounds like only the looks have turned
you off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
I am wondering am I alone in my thinking that the new iPhone is not a huge leap forward over the 3GS? I just wasn't that amazed by the overall size, look, and feel of the new device. I love the sharpness of the new disply and all, but I am not lusting after it like I did the 3GS. In the sales number are true, I am certainly in the minority in my thinking.

Am I getting cynical or to finicky because I returned the iPad after a week of use!?

Yup, you are alone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Am I "lusting after it"? No. Do I want one? Yes. My 3G is getting a bit long in the tooth and a snappy new gadget will be nice. Frankly I think the iPhone 4 looks better than the 3G or 3Gs.

Reaction score
iphone 4 does have a lovely quality feel. This issue with the antenna is disappointing and I cannot hook up to Wi-Fi which might result in a new phone.

C

chas_m

I wouldn't say you're "alone" but yes as you say you're in the minority.

Perhaps you've not really explored iOS 4 all that much yet (particularly FaceTime, which I hear is amazing), or perhaps you are correct: from the 3GS, the 4 may not seem quite as big a jump.

I, on the other hand, will be moving from a first-day iPhone 2G, so I'm expecting to be wowed. :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Have a friend that thinks BMWs are some of the ugliest cars around.

Have not seen the new phone up close and personal yet, but I rather like my 3GS.
Like the curve of the back, feels comfortable in my hand. And what about those volume buttons that stick out.

Are we in the minority? Maybe among iPhone users. Among mobile phone users, don't think so.

If any single thing appealed to everyone, there'd be no need for these cinemas with a different movie playing on 12, 15 and 20 different screens at a time. We could have one movie studio putting out a movie a week and have that one movie playing on the 200-300 theater screens we have here in the Dallas area.

There'd be no need for Dodge, Ford, Chevy, Nissan and Toyota all making full size pickup trucks.

There's definitely no need for Panasonic, Sony, Sansui, Samsung, Sharp, Hitachi, LG, Mitsubishi, Toshiba, Polaroid, Westinghouse, Vizio, Sylvania, ProScan, Viore, Viewsonic, et al... making TV sets.

There'd be no need for TVs being made in 5", 6", 7", 9" 13", 15", 17", 19" 20", 21", 22", 24", 25", 26", 27", 30", 32", 36", 40", 42", 45", 48", 49", 50", 52", 55", 58", 60" 62", 65".... sizes either.

We could go back to the 1950's when there were like 3 manufacturers of TVs in 3 sizes and no such thing as a cell phone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
The new display alone, IMHO, is enough to want this new phone even if nothing else changed. It's amazing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
32G iPad
You are not alone, I think the are great but sold mine thing I just wanted a white version, but bought a droid.
The shape is a bit hard to get use too, my sons slides of the desk...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I believe people who do not like it after buying it are the ones who bought the phone because of the image it carries. I got it for the screen, imovie capable, camera and video, and 32gb size, all of which were an incredible upgrade from my 3g. If you buy a phone not knowing what you want out of it, chances are you will be let down, but this goes for almost anything that you can buy in life. I've been editing some movie clips together in 720p with the imovie app all day from some fun times...it's incredible that you can do so much on just a phone!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
32G iPad
I bought because I had all 4 at launch and loved it, this last one not so much.
Maybe because I use my iPad more now.. Not sure..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Maybe because I use my iPad more now.. Not sure..

I think that has a lot to do with it. I can do everything on my iPad that I could do on my iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
32G iPad
I think so maybe that's why I want a good phone not any more toys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I jumped from my 3G, and it was quite a jump. So I'm very happy with it. I suppose from the 3GS it's not quite as special, but I think overall it's definitely a significant jump from the the past 2 redesigns.

Are we in the minority? Maybe among iPhone users. Among mobile phone users, don't think so.

Actually, I think the population is general likes this iPhone much more than any past versions, which is why they had crazy sales the first week. I had read many comments on tech blogs like "I don't like Apple or the iPhone, but this one looks really nice."

This is definitely the most attention it's drawn since the first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think that has a lot to do with it. I can do everything on my iPad that I could do on my iPhone.

That's assuming you have a 3G iPad and carry it everywhere. I purposely only got the WiFi iPad because I figured if I ever needed internet somewhere without WiFi, or without my iPad, I already pay $30 per month for iPhone unlimited data...didn't need to pay more for the iPad :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think so maybe that's why I want a good phone not any more toys.

So you think the iPhone isn't a good phone? Why do you keep buying them then?

I guess since you're an executive with AT&T you must not have much of a choice though huh?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K

Except make phone calls. So may people seem to lose sight of the fact that the iPhone is, still, a phone.

And yes, you can use Skype, but it's not the same and we all know it.

OP
H
Reaction score
What don't you like about the iPhone 4 and iPad?

The iPad just seems redundant like a huge iPhone sans the ease of use. I never found a comfortable position in which to use it. I admit the display is to die for, but everything else was a rehash of the iPhone's OS. Oh! it did make a kick butt book reader.

As for the new iPhone it definitely seems more well put together, but I guess being 6'5" with larger hands I wasn't after a sleeker phone. The 3Gs just feels perfect to hold and hence why it's the first phone I have never dropped from my hand.

The new iOS4 is the biggest draw in my opinion, thankfully, it is compatible with the 3Gs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
As for the new iPhone it definitely seems more well put together, but I guess being 6'5" with larger hands I wasn't after a sleeker phone. The 3Gs just feels perfect to hold and hence why it's the first phone I have never dropped from my hand.

The new iOS4 is the biggest draw in my opinion, thankfully, it is compatible with the 3Gs.

I agree with you there. I played around with an iPhone 4 and it kept feeling like it was gonna slide right out of my hand. The 3G/3GS doesn't really have that problem for me. Plus, the price was right on the 3GS, so I pulled the trigger.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.