3rd party apps?

Reaction score
I'm planning to buy an ipod touch sometime soon, but I've heard you can only get 3rd party apps by jailbreaking it? and this voids the warranty?

do they plan to put out an ipod touch allowing 3rd party apps without voiding the warranty?

cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4, 17 inch intel imac
The SDK is due out in February. We should start seeing new apps sometime after that. I am assuming you have seen the new apps from apple. (maps, stocks, notes, etc.)

OP
I
Reaction score
well I wanted to be able to install things like, guitar hero 3, the other guitar thing where it's like a real guitar on the ipod, but i've been told the only way to get them is to jailbreak the ipod, but i dont want to break it

Reaction score
Then wait till next month, we will be seeing alot of software being released for the iPod Touch and iPhone. There's no reason while we won't see programs like the guitar app with the release of the software development kit.

OP
I
Reaction score
ah okay thanks! this is for the UK too yes?

I just hoped i didn't have to jailbreak it :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
In order to get third-party apps right now, you have to use a process called jailbreaking. Unfortunately, jailbreaking is a violation of the EULA, and as such, against M-F rules to discuss.

Since you seem to be a bit hesitant, you're probably best off waiting a few weeks for the SDK and official third party applications.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4, 1.5Ghz, 768Mb RAM, 80gb hard drive-imac G4-ipod touch 32Gb 3g-Macbook 2.4ghz, 2BG RAM
I'm gonna wait, and i'd advise others to wait too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4ghz 24"
In order to get third-party apps right now, you have to use a process called jailbreaking. Unfortunately, jailbreaking is a violation of the EULA, and as such, against M-F rules to discuss.

Since you seem to be a bit hesitant, you're probably best off waiting a few weeks for the SDK and official third party applications.

Hi There

Are you sure its against EULA? we have many iphones selling in NZ that are jailbroken it is advertised and it is 100% legal.

Perhaps that law only applies in your country?

cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When we talk about license agreements and laws here at Mac-Forums, we're referring to US law.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4ghz 24"
When we talk about license agreements and laws here at Mac-Forums, we're referring to US law.

I understand that the US laws are very strict and are less "Free" than other countries but as this has an international flavour of people on here i guess its ok to discuss what laws may apply in different countries?

Im sure there is a thing you may call "Freedom of speech" ;-)

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The reason we focus mainly on US law is because it says so in the rules:

Illegal Activity: We choose to follow United States law in regard to what is permissible to be discussed here. Therefore discussion of illegal file sharing, cracked programs, requests for serial numbers, and any other breaches of copyright or other illegal activity are not allowed in these forums.

This also includes discussion of breaking the terms of software or hardware EULAs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15,4" (unibody) 2.4GHz, 4GB & Cinema HD 23" & iPhone 3G 16GB
So, new applications works on touch too? when they're comin' ? Not just on the iPhone? :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
I'm gonna wait, and i'd advise others to wait too.

I'd advise the opposite! Im loving whats out there, right now.
It's a week into February, no word from Apple yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15,4" (unibody) 2.4GHz, 4GB & Cinema HD 23" & iPhone 3G 16GB

It's always in the end of month ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4, 1.5Ghz, 768Mb RAM, 80gb hard drive-imac G4-ipod touch 32Gb 3g-Macbook 2.4ghz, 2BG RAM

Patience...my friend...Patience;D

.jb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16GB Black iPhone 3G | 13" Black Macbook 2.2GHz, 4GB RAM, 200GB HD @ 7200rpm
jailbreaking from a 1.1.1 version itouch takes a whopping 10seconds and you will have literally 100's of free extras and apps. jailbreaking will most definitely NOT break your itouch and if you find it to be working weird for some reason, you can ALWAYS restore it back to factory settings.

the only reason jailbreaking an ipod is against the EULA rules is because apple doesnt make any money off it, where as their apps they can charge for.

i love apple and mac as much as anyone else, but why should enhancing your itouch with a free and commonly used method be "looked down upon"

just imo of course

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
the only reason jailbreaking an ipod is against the EULA rules is because apple doesnt make any money off it, where as their apps they can charge for.

I think it would be more because they don't want to be liable for anything breaking. Usually modifications to anything will void it's warranty.

.jb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16GB Black iPhone 3G | 13" Black Macbook 2.2GHz, 4GB RAM, 200GB HD @ 7200rpm
yea.. thats kind of a contradiction... If jailbreaking voids your warranty, why should they be worried about being held responsible or liable?

Plus like i said,
you can ALWAYS restore it back to factory settings.

Definitely do it imho

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.