FontBook Workflow Query

Reaction score
I'm a fairly light 'home user' of fonts so I'd be most comfortable just using Font Book as my font manager, simply because it comes with the OS and I'd expect it to do the job. I hear tell there are more robust and complex font managers out there but if Font Book does what little I need it for then I'd like to stick with it.

However... there are a couple of 'workflow' issues that i keep running into. Nothing wrong with the actual software itself but i just don't get how the way some of it works would actually sensibly fit into a workflow... so what i'm looking for is either (a) an option to alter the priorities FontBook uses (which i don't think you can 'cos the preferences menu is pretty basic) or (b) could someone suggest an alternative workflow method that would make more sense??

Ok here's my gripe... If I have 2 font collections, lets call them SetA and SetB, that have some overlapping fonts, then if I have SetA enabled and SetB disabled I'd expect all the fonts in SetA to be enabled and all the fonts in SetB to be disabled except for the one's that it has in common with SetA.
This isn't the case as fonts that are common to the 2 sets remain disabled in SetA. ie FontBook seems to give precedence to disabling fonts rather than enabling them. No matter how I look at it this seems to be the wrong way round.
My inclination is to want to enable all of the font collections that i want access to - not discover that i then have to enable individual fonts within that collection afterwards because they are also in a font collection that is disabled.

Have I got this right - or am i missing something fundamental about how FontBook prioritises its enabling/disabling functions?

OP
L
Reaction score
Ok - i think the behaviour I'm looking for is what Kurt Lang refers to as "Full Font Sets" ( Font Management in OS X)
Seems like the only font managers that behave like this are FontExplorer X, Suitcase and MasterJugler - all of which cost!
Might look at FontExplorer but budget wise FontBook will probably win the day!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Ok - i think the behaviour I'm looking for is what Kurt Lang refers to as "Full Font Sets" ( Font Management in OS X)
Seems like the only font managers that behave like this are FontExplorer X, Suitcase and MasterJugler - all of which cost!
Might look at FontExplorer but budget wise FontBook will probably win the day!

I still use this one. Linotype font explorer 1.2.3. It is free.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.