Terminal Application won't take password

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
When I insert a command line (copied and pasted in this instance), it asks for my password. I type my password but it doesn't show on the screen, and of course my action fails. What am I missing here? Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your password remains hidden in Terminal so it's natural not to see it. As far as the action not working (failed), make sure you're entering it correct. And... that your password is correct. Remember, it's case sensitive and so are terminal commands.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, if it's the same as my login screen password then it definitely still does not work.

Doesn't matter anyway. Thanks.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Your password remains hidden in Terminal so it's natural not to see it. ...

Not only is it hidden, the number of spaces it takes is hidden also - you will see nothing - just type your password and press enter (return).

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What's weird is that it carried out my command, but said that the password is incorrect, so all is well that ends well, I guess.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
That is weird. I had this problem until member cradom asked if I had TextExpander installed and once I said yes, we worked out why Terminal didn't accept my password. That was because I had Capitalise new sentence on.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I must say it's a bit unsettling that it worked, but said the password was incorrect. That's what I hate about my iMac: oddities and unexplainable events, including fixes. Very buggy operating system.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Very buggy operating system.

Yeah, whenever we can't explain something blame it on the bugs.... You need to play around with Windows 8 for awhile. :Smirk:

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've been playing with Windows since 2000 and then got the Mac in 2012. The Mac OS unquestionably takes the cake in the "buggy" department, and the example in the OP is a perfect illustration.

I guess I got a lemon.

M

MacInWin

It's "buggy" because you can't see the password? That's the way Unix has been for decades, as a security feature. OSX just continued it.

I don't say this often, but with that attitude toward OSX, maybe you should consider going back to Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Just out of curiosity, which version of OSX are you using and what was the command?

If there's a "sudo" involved and you're using an earlier version of OSX you need to make sure the "root" user is enabled, otherwise it will give the error.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's "buggy" because you can't see the password? That's the way Unix has been for decades, as a security feature. OSX just continued it.

I don't say this often, but with that attitude toward OSX, maybe you should consider going back to Windows.

No, buggy as in it accepted my command AND said my password was incorrect.

As far as going back to Windows, yes that is a possibility when the time comes for a new computer. I'm not a brand loyalist to any product I buy (peanut butter, car, beer, computer, house paint...)

Caribiner23: OX is 10.9.2 and the command was to get rid of that God-awful start-up GONG.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the command was to get rid of that God-awful start-up GONG.

I thought we passed on to you some time ago to download and install the free "StartNinja" application to stop the startup sound?

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You did and it didn't work. I had Mt. Lion at the time. I thought I'd try it this way just for the heck of it. Also, there's a recent thread on it which jogged my memory and that GONG was driving me to insanity, so I did it this way, but with trepidation. The silence is a godsend!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.