Question regarding calibrating MBP battery

Reaction score
I am about to calibrate my MBP battery for the first time and want to know, during step:

3. Disconnect the power adapter with the computer on and start using it with battery power. When the battery's charge gets low, you’ll see the low battery warning dialog on the screen.

Can the MBP go to sleep during this period or must I keep it 'awake' and active for the entire 8 hours? If the latter is indeed the case I am guessing the only way to do this would be to turn off the on battery Energy Savings and let the laptop run it's self out of juice.

Thanks for any clarification!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP 15" i7, 2.66 GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OS-X 10.7.2; iPhone4 iOS 5.0
I'm very new to the world of Mac -just a little over 24hrs in fact! I've executed the calibration on my battery twice in that time, and seen the capacity increase from 6769mAh from new to 6998mAh now, as I type this response. The original battery capacity is 6900mAh.

Now to more directly answer your question: during those cycles I did allow the MBP to sleep, on more than one occasion. It certainly doesn't seem to have impacted the battery's performance!

Here's a screen-grab (Now that I've figured out how to do it!) from Coconut Battery:

previewscreensnapz001h.png

Disregard the "Age of your Mac: 3 weeks" bit -this machine only arrived here yesterday!

OP
L
Reaction score
I'm very new to the world of Mac -just a little over 24hrs in fact! I've executed the calibration on my battery twice in that time, and seen the capacity increase from 6769mAh from new to 6998mAh now, as I type this response. The original battery capacity is 6900mAh.

How in 24 hours did you manage to go through the entire process twice? I am still unsure though about my original question. I am going to attempt Saturday to do the entire cycle without allowing the laptop to sleep when it drains. Will see what happens.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Sleep - no sleep - has no bearing.

The issue is to let it go on battery until it turns off by itself.

OP
L
Reaction score
Sleep - no sleep - has no bearing.

The issue is to let it go on battery until it turns off by itself.

Thanks for the response. I wasn't sure if an interrupted discharge would skew the calibration or not and the Apple documentation isn't clear.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP 15" i7, 2.66 GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OS-X 10.7.2; iPhone4 iOS 5.0
How in 24 hours did you manage to go through the entire process twice?

Quite gracefully & with ease, thank you! :Cool:

But seriously... it arrived all-but fully charged, so the 1st charge-cycle was less than an hour, then the 2-hr conditioning period on the charger. 1st discharge cycle took probably only 4-5 hours (down to the reserve power warning) and it was back to a full charge early evening. Subsequent use on battery took us into the wee hours of the morning, then after a snooze, I got about an hour this morning before she crashed on a completely discharged battery. That would be 2 complete cycles.

Certainly IMO the results speak for themselves -especially when it doesn't take a long search here to find threads from new users that have lost 30% of their original battery capacity within a week or 2 of buying their machines!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.